Loyola blogger is Glazed and Confused

Whitney Woods

Graham Blackall, mass communication junior, has an affinity for baking and all things fashion.

He is the creator of “Glazed and Confused,” a hybrid blog featuring fashion, homemade dessert recipes, and all things Graham.

Blackall’s initial love for baking started during his childhood holidays in the kitchen with his mother.

“Every Christmas, I would help my mom out with holiday baking — she does none of it now — and loved making peanut butter cookies from one of my children’s cookbooks,” Blackall said.

In high school, his passion for baking continued and he began to bake exclusively from scratch.

“During my senior year, I began to bake every week and took it upon myself to better understand the fundamentals of baking,” Blackall said.

Blackall said that each week he would create a new dessert and take his dozens of baked goods to his theater rehearsals for everyone to enjoy.

“I became obsessed with being in the kitchen and giving people good, homemade desserts. It’s a great way to make friends,” Blackall said.

When he began his journey at Loyola, Blackall said his inspiration to take his talents to the web stemmed from advice given by a mass communication professor. During his sophomore year, he met with his adviser and visiting professor, Andrew Nelson, about his interest in creating a blog.

“I brought up the idea of starting a blog to him, and he pretty much told me I’d be wasting my passion not starting one,” Blackall said. “A week later, I purchased the domain name and web-hosting service.”

“Glazed and Confused” began in September of 2013 and has been flourishing ever since, garnering “tens of thousands of views per month,” Blackall said.

“I initially wanted a hybrid baking and fashion blog. The name ‘Glazed and Confused’ came to me while scrolling through Instagram and the first two photos in my feed were of a Dazed & Confused fashion editorial and a box of glazed donuts. I put them together, didn’t hate the way it sounded and the rest is history,” Blackall said.

All of his blog content is original. Every post has been has been styled, shot and created by Blackall. Currently, he is interning with the Besh Restaurant Group in New Orleans. While working for Besh, he has shot for different food publications such as Food & Wine, Bon Appétit, the Black Card Magazine, USA Today and Dessert Professional.

“I’ve been learning so much about my craft as a food photographer and getting so much experience shooting for food publications,” Blackall said.

Blackall said he ultimately wants to continue his blog and pursue his dream job as an editor for a food publication, but for now he will continue to intern for the Besh Restaurant group.

He also just began a new series  on his blog entitled “Eating New Orleans” in which he has created “crazy concoctions” inspired by quintessential New Orleans desserts.

“If you ever see me walking around campus with a basket full of cookies, please stop me. Yes, you can have one! Or two or three!” Blackall said.

Visit his blog at www.glazedandconfused.us.

About the Writer
Whitney Woods, Social Media Director

Whitney Woods is a mass communication senior with a focus in journalism. She has worked as a staff writer and assistant editor for The Maroon and currently serves as the Social Media Director. In her spare time, Whitney
likes to tweet, blog and do Buzzfeed quizzes. You can follow her blog at lostinthewwoods.tumblr.com or @whittwoods on Twitter.