Eat Well

%22Feeding+yourself+well+will+help+you+have+the+proper+amount+of+energy+to+stay+awake%2C+for+concentration.%22+-+Heather+Bacque+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Eat Well

"Feeding yourself well will help you have the proper amount of energy to stay awake, for concentration." - Heather Bacque

SARA FELDMAN/PHOTO EDITOR

SARA FELDMAN/PHOTO EDITOR

SARA FELDMAN/PHOTO EDITOR

VANNIA ZELAYA

In the midst of trying to pass those tests, students may eat whatever is available on the go, or forget to eat altogether. Sodexo General Manager and Registered Dietician Heather Bacque said that this does not allow for our body to keep up with demands. “A lot of us during this crunch time tend to feed ourselves badly with whatever is readily available like bars, chips and things like that,” Bacque said.

Instead, she recommended eating foods that are high in fiber and protein and fewer carbs and sweets because the latter only provide energy for the moment, leaving you tired the next minute. “Feeding yourself well will help you have the proper amount of energy to stay awake, for concentration. Sugars leave you feeling down quickly,” she said.

To help students eat well, the Orleans Room will be offering their Brain Boosters menu during finals week. Items on the menu include high-fiber grains, low-fat dairy, fruit, oatmeal, yerba mate tea and dark chocolate, among others. According to Bacque, studies have found that eating some of these foods for breakfast can improve short-term memory and attention, while foods like dark chocolate can improve concentration and mood.

Additionally, The Market, also known as the C-Store, will be offering fuel packs, which include items such as vegetables, nuts, water and energy drinks. Flambeaux’s will also feature new combos of po-boys and wraps, while Smoothie King will serve breakfast smoothies. Students can also take a break from studying to attend Mass and Pancakes in the Orleans Room, an event sponsored by the offices of Mission and Ministry and Residential Life on May 5.

“For study and school, it’s [eating well] even more important because you’re expecting your body to perform at a certain level,” she said. “So you want to give your body the right fuel, just like with your car. You want premium fuel, not unleaded.”