New twists for intramural ‘Pack

Back to Article
Back to Article

New twists for intramural ‘Pack

Cameron Cates, managment senior, goes for the dunk against Spring Hill college on Thursday Jan. 12 at the Den. Cameron scored 13 points that helped Loyola win 67-65.

CHIKA JOHN/PHOTO EDITOR

CHIKA JOHN/PHOTO EDITOR

CHIKA JOHN/PHOTO EDITOR

RICHARD DEMPSEY Staff Writer

Students interested in playing intramural sports will have two new options this semester: dodgeball and kickball.

Unlike basketball and softball, the two other intramural sports offered during the spring semester, dodgeball and kickball, will use a tournament format with no regular season. Both tournaments are expected to be held in March and will each last for one week.

“The number of games and the times of the games of these tournaments is undetermined until the scheduling and registration is finalized,” said Matthew Brill, intramural supervisor.

The entry deadline for students interested in playing is Feb. 29 for intramural dodgeball and March 14 for intramural kickball.

In addition to being excited for the new intramural sports, Brill stressed the importance of student participation in the intramural sports program.

“The intramural staff is working very hard to increase the marketing of the available sports offered each semester in order to encourage and increase the participation in intramurals,” Brill said.

“We have also implemented many officials clinics and reviews in order to better improve the officiating of intramural games,” Brill said. “This is so students participating in intramurals can also expect better officiated games.”

The intramural basketball officials clinic was held Jan. 19, and the intramural softball officials clinic will be held on Feb. 13.

Another key component to intramural sports is captain’s meetings. These meetings, which only team captains are required to attend, help prepare the captains for the upcoming season.

“Captain’s meetings are used to discuss the rules, the schedule and any further questions or suggestions that need to be addressed about the sport,” Brill said.

The captain’s meeting for intramural basketball is Jan. 24, and intramural softball’s is Feb. 13.

Students interested in playing any intramural sport this semester should sign up at http://imleagues.com.

Richard Dempsey can be reached at [email protected]