Cross country brings in five new runners

Five new runners will be part of the Wolfpack ́s cross country team this season, including four incoming freshmen and one transfer student.

Loyola ́s newest freshmen recruits come from across the country, along with one runner from New Orleans.

For the upcoming season, Head Coach Andy Canegitta says he hopes that his team will continue to improve its average times. This past July, cross country and track runners Sarah Tortorich and Jenna Knoblach, visual arts seniors, were named to the 2012 Capital One Academic All-District Women ́s Cross Country/Track Team.

Tortorich and Knoblach were also named to the District IV College Division Team by the selection of the College Sports Information Directors of America because of their athletic and academic performances at Loyola.

This was the first year Knoblach was named to the Academic All- District team. Last year, Knoblach recorded a personal best with a time of 20:11 in the 5k at the Gulf Coast Stampede in Pensacola,

Fla. Tortorich was able to break Loyola ́s 400-meter record twice this past season, and holds Loyola ́s record for the 200-meter dash with a time of 25.27 seconds.

Canegitta says returning runners Elizabeth Gienger, a management junior and Denise Powell, a biology sophomore, are this season ́s biggest prospects.

“Gienger is having by far her best start of the season as far as her training goes,” said Canegitta. For Powell, Canegitta says that she, “has continued to run strong” and expects her improve on last year ́s performance.

Gienger said, “Nationals is the ultimate goal, and with the hard work of the returning athletes and new talent, we have a good shot.”

This season, Canegitta hopes that his team remains healthy and continues to train consistently, which he says is the team ́s biggest challenge.

The Pack’s first cross country event of the season will be the Loyola Wolf Pack Invitational held in Metairie, LA on Sept. 8, at 8 a.m.

Santiago Caicedo can be reached at [email protected]