Stay out of jail while partying this Carnival

Sara Feldman/staff photographer
Don’t get BUSTED

Amid the sea of purple, green, and gold shirts and sequined hats this Mardi Gras season, don’t forget to be on the lookout for the boys in blue.

That’s right, I’m talking about the police, and more specifically, how to avoid getting in trouble with them. As a college student living in New Orleans, Mardi Gras is one of the most fun times of the year. However if students aren’t careful, it can quickly become one of the most dangerous.

According to Loyola University Police Department Capt. Roger Pinac, the most common causes for arrest during Mardi Gras season are “drinking, urinating in public, fighting, public nudity (flashing for beads, etc.) and running your mouth.”

Since students will be patrolled by the New Orleans Police Department while off campus during Mardi Gras, Pinac says it’s important to be aware of the officers surrounding the parade route.

“The police are working their Mardi Gras assignments in addition to their regular work. They are tired, have little sense of humor, could care less if you are a college student and will not negotiate, especially in front of a crowd. If they tell you not to cross a barricade, to move, to get someone off your shoulders, whatever, just do it,” Pinac said.

If people are arrested during Mardi Gras, NOPD officials say it is likely that they will be in jail until at least Ash Wednesday, no matter when they were arrested during the festivities. Most bonding companies will not post a bond for someone from out of state.

“Try finding $1,000 cash on a Saturday night from jail when all of your friends are in the Quarter or at the parades. Chances are they will not hear their cell phones,” Pinac said.

One Loyola junior, who did not want to be named due to possible consequences to his job, was one of the unlucky few to run into

the police at Mardi Gras. While walking from the Quarter back to Loyola one night during Carnival his freshman year, he and a few friends were stopped by the police.

“We were being pretty loud,” he said. “Oh and, uh, we were pretty drunk. You know Mardi Gras freshman year. When they found out we were underage, we got cuffed. But after we cooperated, they just let us off with a warning ‘not to be too crazy during Mardi Gras.'”

As for avoiding arrest, the student suggests that his fellow students “stay cool and know your rights…Don’t harass them and they won’t tend to have a problem with you.”

Pinac offered similar advice and advised students to make responsible decisions during Carnival season — especially concerning alcohol.

“If you must drink, drink in moderation and always understand that Mardi Gras it is not French for ‘anything goes.’ A couple of Hand Grenades on an empty stomach will guarantee you a bout of ‘puking till you see the angels.'”

Shannon Donaldson can be reached at [email protected]