Battle of the Bands is cut short

Loyola police officer, Mark Smutny, asks The Naughty Professors to get off stage at 2 p.m. The Battle of the Bands event ran over time and the last band did not get to play their full segment.
CHIKA JOHN/Staff Photographer

Musicians gathered to duke it out in SGA Presents: Battle of the Bands in the Peace Quad. The bands battled each other, and the Loyola University Police Department’s John Smutny.

Musicians participating in this event were Cute Machines, City Lark, Erika Flowers, Mississippi Rail Company, and Naughty Professors.

The winner of the competition was Erika Flowers, music industry junior.

Students left the event confused as to why LUPD ushered The Naughty Professors off the stage during their performance.

“I had no clue what happened. Nola Sound cut speakers, and then the policeman came up on stage,” said Dustin Lindeberg, general studies freshman.

Nola Sound arrived and set up equipment late due to technical difficulties, thus delaying the event and causing confusion.

The Naughty Professor’s set lasted past 2 p.m., and into class time.

“Admittedly, we knew that the event was going to last past 2:00, but not to a point where classes were going to be extremely disrupted,” said Michael Morin, music education senior and vice president of Student Government Association.

“The LUPD officer that came up to the event to tell us to stop was extremely rude and unprofessional about telling us, and his behavior was uncalled for,” Morin said.

When The Naughty Professors began to play their first song, university police arrived and ordered the sound crew to turn off the sound.

The Naughty Professors trumpet player John Culbreth, music industry sophomore, said he felt that the actions of Loyola police were unjust.

“We didn’t know what as going on from the stage, so we kept playing. The policeman then grabbed several of the musicians in an attempt to get them to stop playing, then began to yell at us, threatening us with arrest for disturbing the peace,” Culbreth said.

Loyola police declined to comment, as this incident is still being investigated.

“It sickens me that students at a liberal arts university would be accused of breaking the law and harassed in such a manner for participating in an SGA event,” Culbreth said.

Multiple students have filed reports regarding Smutny’s actions.

Jasmine Barnes can be reached at [email protected]