Laundry gets rave reviews

Lucina sinclair/The Maroon
Keisha Kinyo, general studies humanities freshman, loads her laundry. Students can use their computers to monitor laundry progress.

Free laundry services implemented at the beginning of this semester have generated positive reviews, from both students and Residential Life.

Students no longer have to scrounge for quarters or swipe their Loyola ID to wash their clothes.

“Simply place your dirty clothes and the appropriate amount of detergent into the machine and press start, that’s it,” said Amy Boyle, associate director of Residential Life.

Loyola and Residential Life wanted to make laundry services more convenient and accessible for students, Boyle said. Offering free laundry to students is a positive improvement to campus life, so Loyola and Residential Life worked with the company that provides the machines and had the project launch this summer, Boyle said.

Another feature about the laundry system is that there is an online site, freelaundryview.com, where students can register with their email address to check on their laundry and the availability of washing machines.

“Laundry View allows students to view each on campus laundry room in 3D real time to determine if a washer or dryer is available for use,” Boyle said. “It gives them the opportunity to preview the availability of machines to avoid the hassle of traveling multiple times between their room and the laundry room.”

Students, however, seem unaware of this feature.

“I didn’t even know we had a way to check online, but that sounds awesome,” said Sarah Scalese, psychology sophomore. “There’s nothing worse than sitting alone in that hot little room waiting for your machine.”

Emily Crochet, psychology sophomore, said that since free laundry was implemented, the laundry rooms do not seem any more crowded. Other students note few negatives.

“The laundry machines will probably get less wear and tear, because people are now washing smaller loads more frequently than larger loads every once in a while in an attempt to save their quarters,” said Garrett Fontenot, history senior.

Overall, Residential Life has had positive feedback from students so far.

“Doing laundry last year was such a hassle because I never had quarters, so I would have to put two dimes and a nickel in the change machine to get quarters. This year is so much better because it’s free,” Scalese said.

Fontenot said he feels less constrained and at ease about his laundry.

“I can now do it more frequently and don’t have to worry about maximizing the amount of clothes that I wash at any one time in order to save money,” he said.

Boyle said she is excited about the student energy behind the program.

“I know it seems silly that laundry can be exciting, but throughout summer orientation our students erupted into cheers when we told them there was going to be free laundry this year. I love that,” she said.

Kristen Himmelberg can be reached at [email protected]