Social media takes Loyola to the Internet

Students employ technology to interact
GRAPHIC BY CHERIE LEJEUNE/THE MAROON
Students are using social media to involve Loyola with their favorite networking sites, such as Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook. Photos from the Tumblr blog 30*90*THREADS (upper right corner) share campus fashion, while a variety of Twitter accounts riff on Internet “memes.”

Students employ technology to interact

The line to get into the O.R. is among#ThingsLongerThanKim’sMarriage. Now there’s a #LoynoProblem.

Students approaching graduation are increasingly encouraged to market themselves. They often turn to various media resources to do so, but social media has also taken on an entertaining dimension at Loyola.

Now, Loyola students are using social media to stay updated with the lives of their friends, news and as a fun distraction.

English writing freshman and Maroon editorial assistant Andrew Ketcham says that he uses social media throughout the day each day to keep in the loop with what’s going on at school and around the world.

“Twitter keeps me updated faster than TV,” Ketcham said.

Ketcham follows many different people on Twitter. The Loyola-related Twitter accounts he follows include the Mass Communication department, The Maroon, Loyola Residential Life and Vice President and Associate Provost Cissy Petty.

“I use them the most to stay updated on what’s going on, like with the bomb threat at Tulane. I saw it on the Maroon’s account and Tulane’s Hullabaloo,” Ketcham said.

There are also a number of Loyola-related Twitter accounts that are run anonymously, such as LoynoProblems, Howls N. Growls and LoyNOGayBoy. These, especially LoynoProblems, take international “memes” like FirstWorldProblems and localize them to the university. After several direct messages, the Maroon was still unable to contact the people behind any of these Twitter personalities.

Film and digital media junior Angela Cardon, creator of the blog 30*90*THREADS, uses her blog to a similar end: to bring Loyola’s campus fashion to the Internet. In addition to her blog, she is also a frequent Twitter user.

“I used to be really against it (Twitter), but I have fallen into it. I think it’s really effective. You can reach a lot of people, and people are interested in what others have to say. It becomes second nature to check it and hit that refresh button,” she said.

Cardon personally chooses, photographs and posts pictures of students that she thinks have unique style on her blog.

“Usually I just sit outside with my sunglasses so people don’t think I’m creeping. It’s usually people who I have seen more than once who wear things that are effortless, yet are well put together,” Cardon said.

Other social networking websites such as Foursquare allow students to “check in” at locations all over the world. Once someone has checked into a location more than anyone else, they win the title of mayor of that venue.

Mass communication junior Jamie Martin has earned the title of mayor at the on-campus CC’s Coffee and Carrollton residence hall over her time using Foursquare.

“To become mayor of CC’s, it probably only took 10 or so check-ins. I don’t think people are that dedicated to checking in to locations on campus. I just have an addiction. I’m also the mayor of Carrollton Hall—which is a little more difficult to hold the title of. Another Foursquare user keeps kicking me off my throne,” Martin said.

Martin doesn’t just use Foursquare for maintaining her mayorship.

“It’s like a mini competition between my friends and family to see who can get the most points for the week,” Martin said.

Friendly competition isn’t the only thing social networks like Foursquare provide.

Management senior Carly Nelson is mayor of the library on Foursquare. She said she takes advantage of the options on Foursquare.

“It allows me to see where my friends are, either on campus or on the weekends, maybe a local bar or restaurant,” she said. “In connection to my friends at a particular bar or restaurant, I can use Foursquare to view tips, reviews and pictures of a business. Some businesses that are set up on Foursquare also often offer ‘specials,’ which I am able to unlock, like a free coffee at Community Coffee, upon receiving mayorship.”

The social media trend is not been limited to students. Vice President Petty has been sending weekday emails titled “D.P. Dailies” to students since 1998. She has about 4,000 subscribers on her current mailing list.

“What I love best about communicating through the ‘dailies’ is receiving quotes or thoughts from students…it’s like getting my own ‘daily,'” she said.

Petty said she thinks social media is a terrific way to stay connected with students.

“It’s important to me that I stay current with the ways our students engage. I do not see social media or the use of technology slowing down,” Petty said.

Leslie Gamboni can be reached at [email protected]