Editorial: We accomplish much together

AP Photo/Aaron Favila
Survivors reach for relief goods from a private group in Tacloban, Philippines on Monday, Nov. 18. The Loyola community has gathered together over the past few weeks to raise money to give goods and aid to people in affected areas of the Philippines.

Even before we saw the images on CNN of people clamoring for food, water and supplies, we felt compassion for the Philippines.
We heard about the storm heading that way and knew a little about the trouble that was going to happen and that the people living an ocean away from us would soon need help.
Naturally, our first response to the disaster was to try to find a way to help.
While Facebook, Twitter and other social media websites put donate buttons at the tops of their pages, the Loyola community gathered together, raising awareness through individual social media accounts and throwing together fundraisers as soon as possible.
Last week, five campus organizations held fundraisers: the University Honors Program held a thrift shop, bake sale, an open microphone session and taught people how to make paper cranes to raise money benefit victims of the typhoon.
The Loyola Asian Student Organization held a bake sale, and the Loyola Society for Civic Engagement, Student Government Organization and Pi Sigma Alpha, the political science honors fraternity also hosted events to help the relief effort.
Labeled a category 5 typhoon by the Joint Typhoon Warning Center, Haiyan killed more than 3000 people – and the death toll continues to rise every day.
However, with only a few days notice, the Loyola community succeeded in raising significant funds.
For example, the University Honors Program raised $1,252.72, $699.85 of which will be donated to the Philippine Jesuit Foundation and $552.87 of which will be donated to the Red Cross.
LASO raised $158.35 for the Philippines American United Council of Louisiana, and SGA raised over $800.
Relief efforts continued to take place this week as the honors students proclaimed Nov. 18-22 “Loyola Relief Week,” holding a bake sale on Monday, a visual presentation on Tuesday, distributing hurricane information to students on Wednesday, a Free Rice Night on Thursday and a canned food drive on Friday.
These past few weeks, we have been able to see Loyola at its best -students, campus organizations and faculty working together to take care of typhoon victims. We witnessed the heart of Loyola – the Loyola community – working together and truly living out our Jesuit values.
We should look at this great accomplishment with admiration and a motivation to continue acting at our best. These past two weeks have shown what our campus is capable of. We should continue to try to work to our fullest potential to continue making accomplishments like this one a reality.