NOLA Fashion Week Designers

Camilyn Beth:

The first dress Cami Leavitt ever made was her high school prom dress. Leavitt, from Sarasota, FL studied fashion design at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale.

Now, years later, Leavitt is showing her Spring/Summer 2014 collection at New Orleans Fashion Week. The first store to carry her line was the boutique, Hattie Sparks of New Orleans. Leavitt also keeps it local by manufacturing portions of her line at NOLA Sewn. Leavitt says she loves New Orleans for the community and friendliness of the locals.

“People go out of their way to help you out. The community is so loyal to shopping local and supporting small business. It is truly unique,” Leavitt said.

Leavitt describes her Spring/Summer 2014 collection as a classic wardrobe with classic shapes in retro mid-century modern silhouettes.

“The setting is a retro tropical environment with chic white dresses and bold pops of fuchsia, coral, and royal blue. There is even some hidden details like contrasting lining and flashes of sequins,” Leavitt said.

Hazel and Florange:

Originally from Charlotte, NC, Andi Eaton got her start in the beauty business. Eaton worked as a stylist, both editorially and with personal styling clients. Naturally, her next step was to design clothes that she would wear, creating her line Hazel and Florange.

“Everything I’ve learned comes from the amazing community of apparel industry resources in Louisiana,” Eaton said.

Three years ago, Eaton founded the New Orleans Fashion Council. The Fashion Council aims to create opportunity and exposure for Southern-based or born designers. She said she admires New Orleans for its deep cultural roots.

“I love that people have of their neighbors and neighborhoods. There is an openness that the city has to support anyone that wants to go after their dream and of course, I love Mardi Gras,” Eaton said.

Eaton describes her 2014 Spring/Summer collection as 50’s pin up girl meets 70’s roller girl meets current day fashion blogger.