Renovations scheduled for Buddig Hall in summer

Changes include movable furniture

Buddig Hall will be the first residential hall to undergo renovations beginning summer 2012.

Craig Beebe, director of Residential Life, said the university wants to make the existing residence halls more comfortable for students. To do so, it will oversee both small- and large-scale renovations in the coming year.

Loyola has 1,481 total beds on campus in its four residence halls, with around 40 empty beds. This number will change as renovations begin nextsummer. Along with Buddig, Cabra Hall will also undergo renovations. Cabra renovations will span at least a year while Buddig renovations will occur more slowly and last more than one year, as work will only be done in the summer months so the building is available to students during the spring and fall terms.

Buddig will get a new heating and air conditioning system. According to Beebe, these new units should help with the mold and mildew problem Buddig currently has.

Another part of renovations will replace the stationary beds, desks and closets on most of its floors with moveable furniture like in Carrollton and Biever halls, so students can have more freedom arranging their living space.

In the past, all beds in Buddig were in one room of a suite and dressers and desks in the other, Beebe said. He said this is not a system residential life wants to go back to.

Another step in the renovation is new floors and bathroom amenities, like showers and toilets, and the repainting of rooms. Also, the shutters covering windows will be replaced with mini blinds.

However, some students don’t see these renovations as a solution.

“New furniture doesn’t make Buddig any less sickness-prone,” said Lauren Patton, theater communications sophomore and current Buddig resident.

“I am jealous that the Buddig residents will have this next year, but I have no desire to live in Buddig ever again,” she said.

Since these renovations will take place over multiple summers, Beebe said the university plans to decide the order of importance of changes and get as much done each summer for as long as it takes. It is unknown how many summers it will require.

Kelsi Allenbach can be reached at [email protected]