SGA implements new communication policy LAW: Bruno’s owner gets involved Continued from page 9 by hu

A new SGA communication policy mandates that senators answer questions solely through email and that senators send all questions to the vice president of communication, who will then email the inquiring reporter or student directly.

SGA enacted this new communication policy during Spring 2013. On February 20, Michael Falotico, SGA vice president, informed reporters of the new policy at an SGA meeting.

Shannon Donaldson, SGA vice president of communication, said the reason for the communication policy was to give SGA the ability to communicate a “more unified response.”

Courtney Williams, assistant director of campus activities and SGA adviser, said the purpose of the communication policy is “so everything is streamlined.”

Falotico said the communication policy could be compared to “a fact check system.” He said he believes the communication policy is necessary “so their answers aren’t incorrect.”

Donaldson said she does not believe the new communication policy is censorship.

She said Khaled Badr, SGA president, is in favor of the communication policy.

“Khaled is the biggest advocate for email interviews,” Donaldson said.

Because student fees fund SGA

and every student is a member of SGA, according to article IV of the constitution, Loyola students have a fundamental and constitutional role in their SGA.

Students have mixed feelings about the new SGA communication policy.

Allison Cormier, political science and mass communication freshman, said students should be able to directly reach out to their representatives.

“Students should feel free to discuss concerns and ideas they may have,” Cormier said.

Eddie Schneider, mass communication junior, said he does not agree with the new communication policy.

Whether or not the vice president of communication or any other SGA member have the most noble of intentions, the communication policy will not be effective, Schneider said.

“It will get mixed up in the channels,” Schneider said. “To me, that feels like censorship, 100 percent.”

Izabela Gasparri, music industry senior, said the SGA communication policy allows for personal interpretation.

“Someone’s personal opinion may get in the way,” Gasparri said.

She believes a committee should be formed to address ways senators can reach out to students and clearly communicate to them, Gasparri said.

Lucy Dieckhaus can be reached at [email protected]