Behind Closed Doors

Students discuss the hookup culture on a smaller college campus

Six degrees of separation becomes more like two when it comes to students’ love lives on Loyola’s small campus.

The campus’ size has allowed the hookup culture to become a facet of students’ social lives in a way that it would not at a larger university. There might be lots of fish in the sea, but Loyola is a pond.

“It’s a lot of people jumping around from person to person,” said music therapy sophomore Faith Benford. “Loyola’s so small, everyone talks about each other’s business.”

Jazz studies sophomore Kevin Clifford said he views Loyola as a party school, and that he believes most students go out about four times a week.

Clifford said he sees partying as one of the main reasons that hooking up remains popular.

English sophomore Erin Knowles said hookups are why many people talk to her when she goes out.

“If you’re decent looking and go out anywhere, people are going to try to hit on you. They are more focused on getting in your pants than getting to know who you are,” Knowles said. “Once I tell people I have a boyfriend they’re just like, ‘Oh,’ and they don’t want to hang out anymore.”

Loyola’s number of students also diminishes the potential hookup pool, some students said.

“If you’ve hooked up with someone here, they’ve probably hooked up with someone you know,” said William Howard, music performance senior. “You can’t get away with much.”

Adventure may play a part in hooking up with someone new, but there is also a risk involved: sexually transmitted diseases.

According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention, in 2009, there were 20,243 cases of chlamydia, 5,909 cases of gonorrhea, and 284 cases of syphilis reported in Louisiana for people between the ages of 15 and 24.

“With the size of Loyola, there is an increase of the chance of spreading STDs, and the school not distributing condoms increases that chance,” said political science junior Joey Macasieb.

Macasieb said that many students are not aware of the dangers of STDs because it is not ever talked about.

Because of the STD issue, some students said they have problems with the lack of contraceptives available on campus.

“Every college campus should have condoms. Period. No matter what values and morals. Worrying about the student body you’re sworn to protect is more important,” said KC White, theater senior.

White said she has heard that many of the shoplifters caught at drugstores in the area that are frequented by students, have been caught stealing condoms.

“You can go to Tulane Health Services, but no one is going to walk over at three in the morning,” Macasieb said.

Leslie Gamboni can be reached at [email protected]