Campus meets university presidential candidates

Students and faculty are starting to consider which man they want to be the next president of Loyola after both candidates held Open House sessions in an effort to interact with the campus.

The Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., held his informational session March 18 in Nunemaker Auditorium

Former university president Bernard Knoth left many at the school thinking about “national preeminence,” and Wildes says he sees Loyola as a “a great place that wants to be even greater.”

Communications junior and SGA presidential hopeful Martina Mills said she was pleased with what she perceived as an openness in his leadership approach.

“It is still important for the university president to be accepting of students and student beliefs, even when those beliefs conflict with Church doctrine and the president’s mission,” Mills said. “Father Kevin Wildes seemed open to the university community and the practices we already have in place.”

Mills also noted that Wildes has had a close relationship with the university, because he has served on the Board of Trustees for several years.

“He said that he will make decisions to the best of his abilities, even if there is apprehension and disagreement,” Mills said. “But he did say that he would share the rationale behind his decisions. The next president must share his rationale or else we will be faced with the same tension and turmoil that has been among us for these past few months.”

Wildes also spoke about strengthening Loyola’s relationship with New Orleans through community service and social justice.

“Your location really makes this school,” Wildes said.

The Rev. Robert Niehoff, S.J., met with students and faculty Tuesday for his Open House session.

Chemistry professor Lynn Koplitz said that Niehoff seemed like he would work for a stronger relationship with the faculty.

“Essential ingredients for a healthy, working relationship between the faculty and the administration are mutual trust and respect,” Koplitz said. “Both have been eroding or totally missing in recent months.”

But Koplitz said that Niehoff could be the candidate to bring back the communication necessary to run a university.

“After Father Niehoff’s Q and A, I felt more hopeful about Loyola’s future than I have in about six months,” Koplitz said. “If he were to become our next president, it seems possible that we might have a chance to develop some mutual trust and respect.”

Niehoff commented that Loyola needs to work on fundraising, but he said the first step is to make friends. The faculty and staff, he said, can help a university president adjust to the new environment and make those friends.

Joe Rosemeyer can be reached at [email protected].