Competition pushes to connect students and alumni

Students+gather+to+discuss+information+about+organizations.+This+event+was+hosted+to+recruit+students+to+join+groups.+
TIFFANY KUDIWU/Photo Editor
Students gather to discuss information about organizations. This event was hosted to recruit students to join groups.

A $5,000 competition attempts to bridge the gap between current students and alumni.

To win this prize for the competition, the organizations must receive the most votes for donations.

Each organization’s goal is to receive as many votes as possible. Organizations may gain votes with donations to Loyola. Every alumni vote equals five votes and every donation will count as one vote.

The $5,000 prize could go toward costs for a project the organization is working on or potentially send organization members to a seminar.

Alexa Bilich, Hunger Relief program president for the Loyola University Community Action Program and criminal justice sophomore, said her program is participating in the contest.

“If we were to win the grant, we would make Christmas gift baskets, put goodies and other nice notes and sweet things in the basket, just to show that Loyola cares about them and are here for them while they are going through this time of helplessness and hopelessness,” Bilich said.

The Nu Mu Citywide Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. are participating with hopes of funding a one-day summit encouraging women to pursue careers in the science and technology fields.

Science, technology, engineering and math are areas the organization hopes participants reach.

“Through a partnership with STEM, Sister Summit, alumni, local businesses, current students and campus organizations, Nu Mu’s proposed project is the D.R.E.A.M. Girls Summit. It will bring 100 middle and high-school girls interested in pursuing science, technology, engineering and mathematics to the Loyola University campus this spring for a one-day empowerment conference,” said Kimberly McMillian, chapter president and music business senior.

“Women are grossly underrepresented in STEM disciplines and careers in this country, and this project aligns with Nu Mu’s commitment to the empowerment of women and girls throughout our campus, community and world,” McMillian said.

This competition gives the selected organizations to pursue a project or event that otherwise may not be possible.

Thirteen organizations were selected after going through the application process. These organizations will have the opportunity to connect with the alumni association.

The organizations selected are The Maroon, Loyola Speech & Debate, Nu Mu Citywide Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Loyola Society of Dance, Health Professional Organization, The Coalition, Loyola Association of Students for Sustainability, LUCAP, Active Minds, University Honors Association, First in the Pack Peer Mentor Program, Phi Kappa Psi and Wolf Pack Baseball.

Stephanie Hotard, competition coordinator and the Director of Annual Giving, said the goal of the competition is to connect current organizations with alumni.

“Alumni want a chance to engage and network with students on campus,” Hotard said. “Enthusiastic student organizations can help to bring a lot of attention to this project. This hard work will bring more alumni votes and more donations to Loyola to make the university stronger.”

Janeicia Neely can be contacted at [email protected].