Column: Construction will improve Loyola

SAL LIBERTO

SAL LIBERTO

SAL LIBERTO

I understand that some students are not fond of what is happening with Monroe Hall. It is a noisy project with buzzing, drilling, pounding, and scraping sounds arriving to one’s ears often many times a day.

But it won’t always be this way.

Monroe will be a celebrated crown jewel upon its completion and Loyola will be forever changed by its transformation. For effect, I am going to write that again: Monroe will be a celebrated crown jewel upon its completion and Loyola will be forever changed by its transformation. Many of our current students will benefit from at least some of the renovations, just as many of you will enjoy what will soon be an elegant and airy Cabra Hall.

But some of you are concerned the current construction is a hardship from which you will derive no benefit. I understand this sentiment, but it is untrue. Years ago, my alma mater, Boston College, was undergoing the same levels of construction and noise, primarily in my junior and senior years. We complained about it; calling the school “Building

College,” but eventually conceded our minds to the progress. Today, Boston College is a thriving campus rife with loads of

beautiful new construction nicely retrofitted to the original

Gothic design of the campus.

In the years since I graduated from Boston College, the school has blossomed – in part because of the construction – into a powerhouse in higher education. The Boston College “brand” has grown, the alumni network has been made ever stronger, and the pride of that degree has bounded into the stratosphere (today, we even have a joke commonly heard in New England: “How do you know someone went to Boston College? They’ll tell you”). And, lucky me, I am a part of all that despite enduring, in person, some of the growing pains. In fact, all great schools have construction projects that allow them to achieve a higher level of facilities and programs for their students. Loyola is now on an upward trajectory largely because of the cranes in the sky and men and women on the ground who are working tirelessly to complete what promises tobeoneofthe most important accomplishments in our 100 year history. And you are here, at

this time, to bear witness to it! In my Loyola blog, “Salutations,” I am always telling students and families to take the long view when it comes to investing in an education. Look for value and quality; short cuts are usually set ups to be short- changed. In this space, I am recommending that you take the long view when it comes to Loyola’s construction, too. The present is amazing – full of promise and opportunity – but truly great universities attend to their futures while maintaining their excellence in the now.

Years from now, long having graduated from Loyola, you will be recalling the Monroe endeavor to a friend and our path to the next level of our development. You will be so proud of your experience here, excited that the university transformed itself right before your eyes. You will come to see the new Monroe as something that is a part of you and your college experience.

And, no matter your class year, you will benefit from it.

The value of your Loyola degree will rise as more and more students choose to apply and engage our university. Because of our newly constructed first- rate academic facilities, Loyola will have a future to match its glorious past.

Thank you for pardoning our progress. In the end it will be well worth it – for every single one of us.

Sal Liberto is an associate provost and vice president of enrollment management and can be reached at [email protected]

On The Record is a regular column

open to all Loyola faculty and staff. Those interested in contributing can contact [email protected]