Fraternity recruitment attracts male students across campus

ALEX+FAILLA
ALEX FAILLA

Interfraternity Council Recruitment will start on Loyola’s campus before we can finish saying 2013.

Freshman Tanner Buccola has chosen to go through formal recruitment because he has a strong belief in brotherhood.

“Almost my entire family has been involved with some form of Greek organization during their college experience,” Buccola said.

Phi Kappa Psi, BEGGARS and Sigma Alpha Kappa are the fraternities that will be taking pledge classes. However, new on-campus fraternity Pi Kappa Phi has also been chosen by Loyola to colonize, and will recruit in the fall.

“Recruitment is a weeklong process in which prospective members get a chance to meet the men of the respective fraternities through recruitment events, such as cook outs and dinners,” Alex Failla, president of BEGGARS, said.

President of Sigma Alpha Kappa, Julian Smissen said his fraternity is very focused on the kind of men for which they are searching.

“For 2013 Recruitment we are looking forward to meeting the best young men Loyola has to offer. We hope to take in as much as possible and help these young boys into upstanding men,” Smissen said.

Buccola said he chose to go through formal recruitment because Greek organizations allow you to experience many aspects of college life.

“The mission of Phi Psi is to become better men than we were when we joined; in the classroom, spiritually, and in our community,” Daniel Opitach, recruitment chair of Phi Kappa Psi, said.

Freshman Luis Mestre had never heard about Greek life until he saw the show “Greek”. However, he still is aware of what he wants.

“Gaining strong brotherhood and good networking I feel will help me do better in my classes, because of the resources that I will receive by joining the fraternity,” Mestre said.

Current members are just as excited as prospective members about the new additions to their fraternity.

“We are looking for men who can not only mesh well with our active brothers but also bring something new and exciting to our chapter,” Opitach said.

The recruitment process begins on Jan. 23, and Bid Day is Jan. 31. Each fraternity has two events over the eight-day period.

“The first event is open to everyone, and the second is invite only. So you should make good relationships during that first event,” Jerry Reese, vice president of recruitment for IFC, said.

However, the first step of joining a fraternity is meeting the members.

“I expect the recruitment process to be good because it will allow me to meet new people that also share some of the same interests as me,” Buccola said.

New members commonly question whether they will receive a bid from the fraternity that they desire. “If I didn’t get my first choice I will still pledge. I have explored my options with an open mind and it has allowed me to agree with multiple decisions,” Buccola said.

However, students such as Mestre say their options are less broad.

“I got to meet the people that are in the fraternity that I want to rush and I like them, I will not change just so that I can get to be in a fraternity,” Mestre said.

For young men looking to sign up for recruitment, please visit the fraternity and sorority programs page on Loyola’s website. For further information, feel free to contact President of IFC, Alex Krotulski at [email protected] or Vice President of Recruitment, Jerry Reese at [email protected].

Taylor Denson can be reached at [email protected]