EDITORIAL: The Maroon endorses Morin for SGA president

AT ISSUE : The Maroon will not endorse a vice presidential candidate this year

Michael Morin knows what he’s getting himself into. It is hard to say the same about his competitor, John Beverstock.

Morin, music education senior, is a better Student Government Association president. He currently serves as vice president, but because he has definite, realistic plans for his potential term in office and, more importantly, a clear idea of his duties, powers and limitations as SGA president.

Granted, Morin’s experience as vice president has led him to his understanding of what the president does, and that doesn’t preclude Beverstock’s growing into an effective leader, but Morin has a huge head start. In a one-term position, a few months of effective leadership makes a big difference

Beverstock, a finance sophomore, does not quite have what it takes jump headfirst into the presidency.

Strangely, he is the only candidate against PB&J Tuesdays. He backs that up by claiming the money, meant to benefit commuter students, could be used better.

He does know what students want, though, and his intimate knowledge of the budgeting process position him to take advantage of what the SGA budget has to offer in order to benefit the students of Loyola.

Beverstock seems very social media-oriented, a necessity for the position. He might even be able to make SGA minutes more accessible. Overall, however, Beverstock does not seem to have a good grasp of what the president is supposed to do.

He has good ideas, but they are the type of ideas that made him an effective senator, but not necessarily an able executive. Perhaps the position of senator is best for him at this time.

Students can expect more in the next year from Morin. Pun intended.

The vice presidential candidates are a bigger problem.

All three possess positive attributes needed in a vice president: Joshua Washington, philosophy sophomore, is idealistic, Haley Humiston, music sophomore, is realistic and Sebastian Bernal, management sophomore, is a combination of those two qualities.

However, Washington may idealistic to the point of naiveté and may not be ready to take on such a huge role. He also has no experience with allocations, a major part of being vice president.

Humiston has the experience, but does not seem completely down to earth. She believes students don’t participate in SGA because they feel left out, when the general student consensus seems to be that students don’t really care.

Bernal is more of an event planner, but that is what the University Planning Board is for. He’s enthusiastic and friendly, but we think he lacks in the experience needed for his job.