Knoth promoted idea of community

Guest column
    Knoth promoted idea of community

Father Knoth has been more than a president to the students of this university.

He is a friend, mentor and father figure.

He cared about each student at Loyola and made it clear that he loved his work.

He maintained an open-door policy during his time here, in many ways making himself more available than some of our professors.

Father Knoth strove to make this university more than an academic institution.

He wanted it to be a community.

~ Kathleen Goodrich is a sociology junior. She is a member of Big Brothers/Big SistersOne of the beauties of attending a small university is the opportunity to have your voice heard.

Walking across campus on Tuesday, I found it almost incomprehensible that so many students not only had their voices heard, but that the listening ear was that of the president of our university.

There are no small words that can be used to describe what Father Knoth means to the student body of our school.

Watching the news broadcasts Tuesday evening made it apparent that the reporters were struggling to find someone to say something negative about Father Knoth and his time here at Loyola.

But I cannot presume to speak on behalf of the student body, past and present.

I believe that it is important for them to speak for themselves:

“I saw Father Knoth just about every day, and every time he would ask how I was doing or how my day was going,” said Cassie Hudson, sociology junior.

“Our conversations weren’t of any significance, but he still took the time to speak with me each day. Father Knoth is not only known for the great accomplishments at Loyola during his administration, but also for the personable man that he is.”

“He always stopped by groups of students in front of the Danna Center,” said Laura Revelo, junior communications.

“He cared enough to get to know every student, even if he had no idea who they were,”

“If you ever needed anything, he made time to find out what you needed. He was always open to the students and was always there for them,” Dan Roberti, political science senior

“Father Knoth was a man who commanded respect, even from those who did not agree with him,” said David Bianco, English and philosophy senior.

“He was generous, personable, and Loyola is better for his presence here.”

There is no doubt in my mind that Father Knoth succeeded in developing a better community on Loyola’s campus because of his interaction with students.

This community then cannot let the events of this week besmirch all that Father Knoth worked to achieve for this university.

Our shared experience can either work for this community, thereby making us stronger, or cause it to divide upon the issue.

We should choose the former path.

I believe that rather than focusing on what may or may not have happened in 1986, we should focus on what a good man Father Bernard Knoth was for Loyola University.

He committed himself completely to the betterment of the student body, and his presence as a leader and a friend will be sorely missed.