The Maroon

Rex Mansion catches fire

Two+fire+fighters+climb+a+ladder+in+order+to+fight+the+flames+engulfing+the+Rex+Mansion.+The+historic+mansion+caught+fire+early+Wednesday+morning.+Photo+credit%3A+Andres+Fuentes
Back to Article
Back to Article

Rex Mansion catches fire

Two fire fighters climb a ladder in order to fight the flames engulfing the Rex Mansion. The historic mansion caught fire early Wednesday morning. Photo credit: Andres Fuentes

Two fire fighters climb a ladder in order to fight the flames engulfing the Rex Mansion. The historic mansion caught fire early Wednesday morning. Photo credit: Andres Fuentes

Two fire fighters climb a ladder in order to fight the flames engulfing the Rex Mansion. The historic mansion caught fire early Wednesday morning. Photo credit: Andres Fuentes

Two fire fighters climb a ladder in order to fight the flames engulfing the Rex Mansion. The historic mansion caught fire early Wednesday morning. Photo credit: Andres Fuentes

Tyler Wann

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






The historic Montgomery-Grace mansion on St. Charles went up in flames around 8 a.m. Wednesday morning, according to the New Orleans Fire Department.

A release from the department said the initial call came at 7:44 a.m. after being alerted to visible flames coming from the building. The release said that after escorting an elderly woman from the building and making sure that it had been completely evacuated, they started fighting the fire that was engulfing the first floor and the basement. 25 New Orleans Fire Department units were on the scene, fighting a fire that eventually engulfed the roof.

“I’m amazed. It’s like the water isn’t doing anything,” said Beverly Rainbolt, who lives down the street from the mansion and had been watching the fire department fight the flames for over an hour.

According to New Orleans EMS, no injuries had been reported during the fire. This came as a relief to Emilie Montgomery, whose aunt, uncle and 92-year old grandmother lived in the house. According to Montgomery, even their dog was able to make it out of the flames unscathed.

“Everybody’s okay, which is the best thing,” she said. “But they lost everything, and that’s devastating. With the history behind it, it’s a sad day.”

The mansion is known for being one of the stops for the Krewe of Rex, where, traditionally, the king stops to toast the house during the parade. According to Montgomery, this tradition has been happening since her great-great uncle started it.

“It’s been in Mardi Gras since I can remember,” she said. “And unfortunately it had to happen before Mardi Gras. It’s a sad day for everybody.”

The fire department said that the cause of the fire won’t be known until the investigation is complete.

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
About the Writer
Tyler Wann, The Wolf Editor

Wrapping up his four years at Loyola and The Maroon, Tyler serves as the The Wolf Editor. He hopes to portray the views of the editorial board, and has...

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Left
  • Rex Mansion catches fire

    News

    Reichman and Richardson make plans for next year’s SGA

  • Rex Mansion catches fire

    News

    SGA senate says ‘no’ to vetoes

  • Rex Mansion catches fire

    News

    Male pageant questions Asian stereotypes

  • Finance

    Loyola Loyal Day aims to exceed $250,000 in gifts

  • Rex Mansion catches fire

    News

    Commencement 2019 speakers announced

  • Rex Mansion catches fire

    Administration

    ID fine policy met with mixed emotions

  • Rex Mansion catches fire

    News

    Students start new photography club

  • Rex Mansion catches fire

    News

    SGA elections consist of system changes, few candidates

  • News

    SGA candidates announced

  • Rex Mansion catches fire

    Multimedia

    Plates Fly, as Loyola students pie their professors for a cause

Navigate Right
Since 1923 • For a greater Loyola
Rex Mansion catches fire