Barnes elected SGA president

Blake Corley elected vice president
Jasmine+Barnes%2C+mass+communication+junior%2C+applauds+other+recently-elected+student+government+officials+as+election+results+are+revealed+on+March+19.+Barnes+will+be+SGA+president+for+the+2013-14+academic+year.+
TIFFANY KUDIWU/ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR
Jasmine Barnes, mass communication junior, applauds other recently-elected student government officials as election results are revealed on March 19. Barnes will be SGA president for the 2013-14 academic year.

SGA announced that students elected Jasmine Barnes as the president for the 2013-14 academic year during the school-wide vote.

The newly elected president said she was excited to listen to student input to help guide her decision-making when she takes office next academic year.

“I’m truly ecstatic and this is going to be a year of reestablishing your Loyola,” she said. “I cannot wait to start working with and for the students and the new students coming in.”

Barnes went on to say that even though most presidents have included transparency as part of their platforms, she wants to make it a focal point of her presidency.

One of the key issues that Barnes has heard students bring up is the price of on campus food. She said that many students are worried about the price and variety of food available on campus.

“It’s a small thing of just food, but it’s a big thing on our scale,” she said.

But SGA would have to do more research before they are able to work on addressing the student’s concerns, she said.

Even though she has not yet begun her presidential term, Barnes campaigned with the support of the Black Student Union. Barnes, a former BSU president, was glad to have their endorsement.

“When I found out Devante Williams, the current BSU president, spoke to the e-board and said that they would be willing to endorse me. I was pleased because I’ve served as their president before and they see what I have to offer,” Barnes said.

Despite running unopposed, she was still excited by the victory and was appreciative of all the support she received.

“I was embraced with so much positivity that I’m so thankful for,” she said. “It was a great moment and I’m really looking forward to next year.

Hasani Grayson can be reached at [email protected] 

Blake Corley, international business sophomore, stands among recently-elected SGA officials on March 19. Corley was elected vice president for the 2013-14 academic year. (ERIC BURAS/THE MAROON)