Neaux Sneaux this Christmas

Event rescheduled to take place during the spring semester
SARAH SZIGETI/The Maroon
Students sit on the lawn in front of Marquette Hall. The event did not happen because of problems with the ice machine.

Loyola’s plans to transform the front lawn into a winter wonderland for Sneaux were ended on Wednesday, Dec. 4 shortly before the event was scheduled to begin.
The annual event is co-sponsored by Loyola’s Office of Co-Curricular and the Student Government Association.
At the SGA Senate meeting, Ron Palmer, vice president of communication, received a phone call from Courtney Williams, SGA advisor, stating that the event was cancelled due to failure of the snow truck.
Heather Roundtree, director of Co-Curricular programs, said Pelican Ice is the snow provider that Loyola has used for Sneaux.
Sneaux was cancelled due to the company’s snow truck’s primary motor and back-up motor blowing out, Roundtree said.
“We are equally disappointed as everyone else because it really is something that is completely out of our control,” Roundtree said.
Palmer announced the cancellation of the event at the weekly SGA Senate meeting at 5:32 p.m. The event was scheduled for 6 p.m. in the Marquette horseshoe.
“We are disappointed that we had to cancel the event. Sneaux has become a great Loyola tradition not only for the students but also the community,” Palmer said.
Zahra Abdeljaber, sociology junior, said that she and her younger brother were looking forward to enjoying Sneaux and was sad to hear that it was cancelled.
“I was like yay! I’ll get out of class early, I’ll pick my brother up from home, I’ll come back. And so now we’re back and it’s cancelled. And we were looking forward to it and now it’s gone so we’re just going to have to wait,” Abdeljaber said.
There have been ideas talked about as to when Sneaux will be rescheduled, but nothing has been agreed upon yet since it is not certain when the company’s machinery will be repaired, Roundtree said.
“At this point we don’t know yet, but we’ll keep everyone posted,” Roundtree said.
Roundtree said cookies and T-shirts were still provided to those who came.
Parents from around the city brought their children in hopes of enjoying the event as well.
Andrew Shahan and his children were in attendance for the first time.
“They tried. There’s worse things in life, right?” Shahan said.
Alicia Serrano can be contacted at [email protected] 

Editor’s 12/16/13: Sneaux has been rescheduled to take place Jan. 6, 2014 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the Marquette Horseshoe.