Curing the wintertime blues

Samantha Eroche

Also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD is a type of depression that typically strikes in autumn and continues through winter. It is an ailment directly associated with the changing of seasons. Often this condition leaves people feeling moody, sad or lonely. No Loyola student should have to experience such devastating emotions since academic focus is particularly critical as we close in on finals. That being said, here are 10 things that will hopefully warm you right up.

Let there be light

Especially natural light. Numerous studies have shown that fluorescent lights, though far more cost-and-energy-efficient, tend to leave us feeling sick, tired and anxious, and these symptoms only worsen with the coming of winter. What to do? Twist open your blinds! Throw open your curtains, or even replace them with lighter-colored curtains; this can completely alter the look of a room. As creatures of the sun, we want and need this natural light, so greet the day as often as you can.

Get creative

Whether it’s the cold or your stereotypical college budget, sometimes you just can’t get out, which might mean you’re stuck in your dormroom more than you’d like to be. If your space is bumming you out, re-vamp. Rearranging furniture, hanging posters or family pictures and working on small craft projects can be a huge pick-me-up for an otherwise dull space.

Baby step to-do’s

So it’s November, right? For college kids, that basically translates to “Less than a month until Thanksgiving and only about a month until winter break!” Then you remember that you’ve still got a billion things to do before then — papers, projects, presentations, work-study, laundry… Sigh… But your list of to-do’s doesn’t have to crush you, and you don’t have to be a taskmaster, either. Instead, break up your big responsibilities into little, more manageable tasks. Have to write a huge paper? No worries. Divide your time accordingly so that you have a full day to brain-storm, another to outline and draft and another to revise and edit so that you won’t be overwhelmed. Baby steps will get you through!

Organize

One important thing to keep in mind as we approach winter break is the fact that we’ll be going home soon and will need to know where all of our stuff is. If you rented textbooks, do you know where all of them are and when they’re due back? Have you been keeping track of important dates on your calendar for finals? Do you have unnecessary papers lying around that you could throw away? The moment you rid yourself of the clutter in your life, the better you’ll feel about the challenges ahead.

Work it out

Often when nippy weather strikes, some of us tend to want to hibernate indoors. Instead, encourage yourself to go for a walk on the grounds or in the park. The fresh air and sunshine will do you some good! If you really can’t bear the cold, however, the Loyola Recreation Sports Complex offers a variety of free classes to students and faculty and staff. From belly dancing to zumba to yoga and so much more, there are no restrictions as to how you can get physical.

Health-kick those blues

Be sure to take care of yourself as you approach the final weeks of the semester. Yes, the occasional all-nighter is unavoidable, but you shouldn’t make a habit of it. Be sure to get adequate rest and exercise as well as plenty of fluids and nutritious food in your system, especially if you feel as though you’re coming down with a bug. It’s easy to fall into the Pumpkin Spice/Peppermint Mocha kick or to snuggle up in your jammies with a bowl of Ramen and Netflix, but consume in moderation. With finals just around the corner, you need all the energy and rest you can get in order to finish strong.

There’s a whole new world outside your dorm

And you don’t even need a magic carpet to get there. Non-Louisianians in particular should be aware that this cool, blustery weather won’t stick around for too long. Before we know it, it’ll be scorching once more. Take advantage of this perfect weather to go for a walk in Audubon Park across the street, or perhaps take a ride on the streetcar along St. Charles. Maybe just enjoy the Peace Quad. Whatever you decide to do, try to incorporate the outdoors into your plans.

Connect with your posse

Always be kind to yourself. If you’re feeling frustrated from work, school or weather, give yourself a little reprieve from your studies and connect with loved ones. You’ll feel less lonely and more sane afterward. Get a group of friends together for brunch at Camellia Grill or Café Du Monde one weekend, or host a gathering in your dorm one night to watch American Horror Story (popcorn a must!). It could even be as simple as calling mom and asking her about her day.

Do good

It’s easy to feel down when the weather changes. Luckily, you can channel that negative energy into something positive by doing goods deeds. At this time of year, numerous festivals abound, seeking volunteers in order to run smoothly. Perhaps you and your friends could help out at the Fringe Festival or, if you watch your Wolfmail, ResLife will occasionally ask for helpers with Loyola’s community partner The Edible Schoolyard, a program which maintains five NOLA gardens and teaches students about kitchen and garden education. The next volunteering event is Nov. 21 from 12:30 to 4:00 at Samuel Green, but you need to reserve a spot through OrgSync. Doing good could even constitute baking a cake and leaving it anonymously on your lounge floor. Maybe you slip a note underneath your resident chaplain’s door wishing him a good day. It’s the little things, too.