Column: Programming requires revision

Garrett Fontenot
Maroon Staff
Garrett Fontenot

Programming seems to be one thing Loyola does a lot of. I see flyers for one event or another almost every night of the week and weekend. It makes me happy that so many organizations and departments around campus have such a focus on offering fun activities, learning experiences, lectures, workshops, etc. for students. I believe that this is a valuable part of a Jesuit education.

I have had the privilege over the years of being able to participate and plan some of these programs. Much work goes into them. What is truly saddening, however, is when a well thought-out and planned program falls apart because of lack of participation. Nothing is more frustrating for a student organization than having their premier event of the semester have a miniscule turnout. It is a disappointment both to not have one’s hard work pay off and to suffer the embarrassment of having a failed event.

What is, in some ways, equally concerning is the fact that our student fee goes towards funding these programs. Yes, it is true. If you are a student, your money goes towards these programs that are sparsely attended. Every semester, the Student Government Association divides the student fee through the budget allocations process to fund organizations in their endeavors.

At this point, it is understandable if you are feeling confused and slightly peeved that your money is being funneled in to what appears to be such an inefficient system.

I do not want to propose that we withhold future funding from organizations because of “failed” events. That is counterproductive.

What I instead propose is a two-fold solution to this problem.

First, this is not solely the problem of the SGA or student organizations. Don’t blame them. We all have a stake in this. Because it is our money, we have a responsibility to see that it is well spent. This means embracing the programming that our student organizations and other groups offer. The opportunities and experiences that they bring to our campus are a valuable part of our education, even if they are not in a classroom.

Though programming is not unique to our campus, the Jesuit mission of higher education our university strives to achieve helps to bring both classroom and outside experiences together, to shape us into people with more than just a standard college education. When you attend events, keep an open mind and see how they fit into the larger world picture being formed in the classroom. Have a healthy respect for the world, its history and its mystery.

Second, I recommend that we as a university take a look at the way in which we plan programming. Let’s strive to be more conscious of when and how we offer it so that programs do not conflict with one another or over-programming does not occur. Over-programming is a nightmare that will only drive down attendance.

Though my days here are rapidly coming to a close, my dream for the future is to see a Loyola with a comprehensive programming plan which maximizes the educational experience of all students.

Garrett Fontenot can be reached at [email protected]