Group removes interactive board

Members say 22 percent of comments were offensive
Student Advocates for Gender Equality placed a board in the Peace Quad Monday, Nov. 7 asking, What do you expect from women? on one side and What do you expect from men? on the other. The board was taken down the net day due to too many offensive comments.
Chika John/Photo Editor
Student Advocates for Gender Equality placed a board in the Peace Quad Monday, Nov. 7 asking, “What do you expect from women?” on one side and “What do you expect from men?” on the other. The board was taken down the net day due to too many offensive comments.

A student organization was asked to take down a board discussing men and women’s expectations of each other after students wrote inappropriate comments on it.

The Office of Co-Curricular Programs asked Student Advocates for Gender Equality to take down an interactive board that discussed what men and women want from each other on Tuesday, Nov. 8, because several comments on the board were too offensive. 22 percent of the comments discussed strangulation and objectified men and women, according to club members.

“If a joke offends one person, then it is not funny anymore,” said Beth Cook, Spanish sophomore and the club’s president.

In response to the offensive comments and being asked to take the board down, the club put a new board up that explained the significance of the first board.

The new board stated, “This is your Loyola.” The original board was intended to learn how the Loyola community views gender, and instead, “We ended up showing you that our perceptions of each other are far too offensive and disrespectful,” it said.

Rebeckah Gordon-Kirk, performance freshman, said she was shocked by the comments, but did not expect it to be taken down.

“I thought people would take it more seriously than this,” she said.

John Puma, theater sophomore, said he thought some of the comments were disrespectful and some were funny.

“A comment about strangulation is disrespectful, but a ‘bacon and BJs’ comment is funny,” Puma said.

The group also held a meeting Nov. 16 to discuss comments on the board.

Members of Student Advocates for Gender Equality said they were disappointed by the results of the interactive board because they felt this was a chance for Loyola to say something positive.

“That 22 percent should have been zero percent,” the new board said.

Jamie Futral can be reached at [email protected]