College has fewer cliques

Cliques and uniforms seem to be a major part of most people’s high school experiences. Whether we were considered “band nerds” “jocks,” or whatever term was coined for our group, we all found those people we were most comfortable around. For some of us, the mandatory uniform bound us to, well, uniformity. And so, this became the norm for most of us for four to five years.

But college has taken that “norm” and turned it upside down. The walls of traditional cliques have been torn down. It seems that at Loyola, there is no need to form to a specific group of people who you are around every day.

This truly makes Loyola an extension of home for all of us. Here it’s hard to figure out anyone’s major without asking them. It’s not what you’re studying that helps you make friends; it’s who you are that gets you friends from all across the academic and social spectrum.

Even if you are the quiet type, it’s quite difficult to stay that way here. Though you may be sitting by yourself on a bench, it’ll only take a few moments for someone to strike up a random conversation. This is one of the many ways that makes Loyola such a welcoming place.

Another refreshing change from high school is that everyone at Loyola seems to know one another. Whenever I hear someone ask about another student, I never hear, “Who is that?” Instead I hear a long list of how that person is connected to them. It’s wonderful to see such deep connections people are forming, and it’s nice to know that at least one person knows who you are.

With the weights of uniforms lifted, we are free to express ourselves through what we wear. It’s not unusual to see a wide array of clothing throughout the day. From mom jeans to flowing skirts to leather biker jackets, the students at Loyola never fail to bring back any style. Along with a lush display of attire, there is also hair that in every shade on the color spectrum. Here at Loyola, the unusual and strange are awesome.

All of these college ways of life gives the student body at Loyola a

compelling uniqueness. There are no more freaks and no more outcasts. Anyone can be accepted regardless of anything that may have separated them before. And this speaks volumes for the kindness and joy that permeates Loyola.

Never before have I been in an environment that welcomes everyone for who they are. The multi-colored hair, the differing styles, and the constant camaraderie between people who may have nothing in common make Loyola unique among colleges.

Loyola isn’t just a place to come to school and earn a degree. It’s a

place to befriend some of the greatest people you will ever meet.

Andrew Fath can be reached at