Wolfpack has 20-win season

Its been 64 years since men have had 20 wins
Biology freshman Kyle Simmons looks for an opening during the basketball game against University of Mobile in the Den Saturday, Feb. 25.  Simmons scored five points during this game.
Chika John/staff photographer
Biology freshman Kyle Simmons looks for an opening during the basketball game against University of Mobile in the Den Saturday, Feb. 25. Simmons scored five points during this game.

The men’s basketball team’s season ended with a loss in the conference tournament semifinals, but the team certainly left its mark on Loyola’s record book.

The Wolfpack was defeated 63-72 by Belhaven University in the semifinal game of the Southern States Athletic Conference Tournament on March 2 to end its season. This came only one day after they beat Emmanuel College 84-75 in the quarter finals, which gave the ‘Pack its 20th win of the season. This year’s team was the first to reach a 20-win season since the 1948-49 team.

The team’s quarter final victory over the Emmanuel Lions was led by biology senior Corey Gray’s team-high, 24-point performance that marked yet another milestone in Gray’s legacy at Loyola. Gray became the 10th-ranked player on the all-time career-scoring list after surpassing Sam Trombatore’s prior record of 1,360 career points. Gray ended his collegiate career with 1,387 career points.

Since Loyola entered the tournament as the number-one seed in the western division, the Wolfpack’s first game was a quarter final match-up. Other lower-seeded teams had to play in an additional play-in-game before advancing into the quarter finals. After beating the Lions, the ‘Pack struggled to keep up with the scoring production of Belhaven players in the semifinals game. Although managment senior, Cameron Cates and Corey Gray scored 24 and 18 points respectively, three Belhaven players ended the game with double-figure points in the Pack’s 75-84 loss.

Even though the team will lose five senior players when they graduate this spring, next year’s team shows promise. Forward and finance freshman McCall Tomeny was elected onto the SSAC all-freshman team, and starting forward and general studies sophomore Robert Lovaglio will return after ending the season leading the team in rebounds, assists and as the team’s second-highest scorer.

Wolfpack fan Jared Hillenbrand, marketing senior said, “It was great to watch Loyola come out with some big wins this year. Winning 20 games is no easy task. There were some great individual accomplishments and it’s easy to see that the future of the ‘Pack is bright.”

Garrett Galuszka can be reached at

[email protected]