Summer sessions can be cheaper

Loyola offers summer sessions to students to give them the chance to receive credit for classes that are taken either online or on campus during the summer break.

Students who decide to stay on campus must pay for housing and will have dining options available to them on campus.

“We encourage students to take summer sessions to get ahead for graduation, to lighten the load during the regular semester and to save money,” said Teri Berthelot, program coordinator.

Taking classes over the summer allows students to earn credit to their grade point average.

New classes online include “The 70s as seen on TV,” “Military History,” and “Chemistry and Art.”

Testing out of a subject or completing requirements needed for graduation are options when taking classes over the summer.

Students may choose to take two eight-week classes and finish a course that requires two semesters.

Classes over the summer are in a condensed format. They are set up in five-week classes and eight-week classes. The first of the five-week sessions begins May 23 and runs until June 23. The first of the eight-week sessions begins May 31 and runs until Aug. 31.

Students who are looking to ease their schedule during the regular semester typically look into summer sessions. Doing so will help spread out the hours needed to graduate.

When it comes to cost, summer sessions are more than $100 cheaper.

“Summer classes are $692 per credit hour, and during regular semesters it is $869 per credit hours,” Berthelot said.

Normal academic scholarships, however, do not apply to the summer semester, leaving many students with a larger tuition balance than in a normal semester.

“I ended up having to pay more for that summer class than I would for 15 hours in the regular semester, because my scholarship doesn’t carry over,” said Dominique Kasindi, psychology pre-med senior.

Registration for summer sessions is made available once registration for fall classes opens.

In the summer sessions of 2010, there were approximately 2,000 students enrolled in summer classes. This includes all undergraduates, graduates and law students who were enrolled.

The goal this year is to have at least 10 students in each class.

“We want students to get excited about the benefits,” Berthelot said.

Jasmine Barnes can be reached at

[email protected]