Morin elected SGA president

Santiago Caicedo/Assistant Photo Editor
Music senior Michael Morin celebrates with his fraternity brothers after the announcement Friday, April 8 at CC’s. Morin defeated John Beverstock, finance sophomore, for the SGA presidential position.

The anticipation for the results of the Student Government Association elections is over. 

Shouts, applause and even shocked looks filled the Danna Center as Carissa Marston, SGA commissioner of elections and biology sophomore, announced the new members of the SGA after the votes were cast April 8.

“I knew the announcements were going to be emotional,” Marston said. “We prepared for whatever reactions might occur.”

As Marston called music industry senior Michael Morin’s name as the winner for president, he fell back into the arms of friends, overjoyed, while shouts filled the air. 

“I was happy to hear Michael elected as president,” said Cynthia Morales, management senior. “I think he did a good job as vice president. He is experienced and will continue to do a good job.”

Morin won the presidential candidacy with 53.38 percent of votes, a fairly close match compared to 42.04 percent ofvotes John Beverstock, finance sophomore, received.

Haley Humiston won the vice presidential candidacy with 43.60 percent of votes.

See the chart below for the rest of the SGA candidates. 

Now that the new SGA has been selected, the candidates are eager to begin implementing their plans.

“The first thing that I’ll do this year is restart the conversation between SGA and the administration about completing the Freshman Year Visitation Policy the Cooper/Rossi administration began,” Morin said. “It is important that we finalize this, and in the case that this passes, it needs to be in the student handbook for this upcoming fall semester.”

Humiston has a few initiatives she wants to begin working on as well.

“I want to continue to work on SGA’s visibility,” she said. “SGA needs to be more of a resource for students than just an authority figure. I would like to bring the community together through sports events and continue the commuter program event during the window on Tuesdays.”

Humiston also wants to focus more on going green. She proposed the idea of working with LUCAP to improve sustainability around Loyola’s campus. That would include more recycling around campus, using less water in the urinals, and putting bikes that create energy in the gym.

“I think Haley’s ideas about recycling and having an overall eco-friendly campus is very positive, but it is really hard to go green,” said Shermetrius Mack, political science junior. “Many people are used to not being eco-friendly. If there were rewards involved, maybe people would become more responsible and she could complete some of her initiatives.”

Gracie Palombo, international business and marketing sophomore, is anticipating the works of the new government.

“I’m really excited to hear all the new ideas from SGA,” said the former College of Business senate member. “It’s a new and diverse group and they have a lot of time to waste changing the problems here on campus.”

Morin and Humiston are waiting to be sworn into office by a new chief justice and are currently looking for new executive staff candidates. 

Applications opened earlier this week and the deadline will be extended to after spring break.

Sable Lefrere can be reached at [email protected]