Freshmen Bars are getting scarce

TIFFANY KUDIWU/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
nside the uptown bar The Boot on a weekend night. The Boot is located right next to Tulane University and is a popular bar with college students of all ages.

Every class at Loyola starts freshman year with a set group of bars that serve as a setting for some of their fondest memories.

But dark times have fallen on the Uptown college bar scene.

Freshmen watering hole staples such as Friar Tuck’s, The Doors, The Frat House and most recently Fat Harry’s have closed in the past year or two, forcing a shift in the freshman bar culture.

As is the case with each class of freshmen, the most popular bars amongst them are the ones that offer the easiest access to alcohol.

One such infamous bar was Friar Tuck’s on Freret Street, which closed in 2011. “Everyone went to Friar Tuck’s my freshman year,” said Allen Hall, music composition junior. “They served everybody, it was close to campus and it was always full of the most interesting local.”

Tuck’s was also a popular bar for the current seniors when they were freshmen. “Tuck’s closed my sophomore year, but it was always the go-to place for freshmen because it was easy to drink underage,” said Jill Schott, business senior.

For current sophomores who didn’t have the privilege of experiencing Tuck’s, The Frat House and The Doors were the places to be. “I’m definitely missing the Frat Hout because it was mostly all Loyola kids,” said Melanie Potter, mass communication sophomore.

Because of the loss of so many staple freshmen bars, this year’s freshmen have been forced to prioritize bar locations above everything else.

According to biology freshman Juliana Pietri, the most popular bars among this year’s freshman are “The Palms, The Boot and TJ Quills,” all of which are within half a mile of campus.

Despite the closing of so many classic freshmen bars, one establishment in particular has remained a constant source of fun for freshmen over the years: The Boot.

“The Boot is probably the most popular. Most likely because you only have to be 18 to get in and it’s very close to campus,” said Pietri.

Sophomores, who also had limited bar options last year see The Boot in a fond light as well. “If you asked around, everyone would say that The Boot is the most convenient,” said Potter. “I love the atmosphere at The Boot because it’s relaxed and really close to campus.” Even seniors, who have access to many of the over 21 bars, agree that The Boot is an uptown favorite.

“I think that will always be a favorite for cheap drinks amongst undergrad students,” Schott said.

Outside of the comforting confines of The Boot, the Uptown bar scene has seen a general lack in the variety of bars for freshmen to choose from.

“It’s just as easy now for underage kids to get drinks as back then, they just have less places to choose from. Now, there are only a select few bars where you see all the underage drinkers,” said Hall.

According to Hall, the memories of bars like Tuck’s are still alive among Loyola students.

“We still go to Tuck’s every now and then to try and relive the glory days, But now it’s a little sushi place and they don’t let us get quite as rowdy as we used to,” Hall said.

Shannon Donaldson can be reached at [email protected]