Baseball fights for spot in playoffs

With 20 games left in the regular season, the ‘Pack will need a late-season push to make it into the conference tournament.

Only the top four teams in the Southern Sates Athletic Conference’s West division will qualify for the post season. Loyola (10-21, 2-4) currently sits in fifth place, a game behind University of Mobile (19-10, 3-3).

Management sophomore third baseman and Wolfpack Tyler Duplantis, said that the team must play more consistently to make a climb in the standings. “You can’t pitch great one game, and not hit at all then come out the next day and not pitch very well and hit great,” said Duplantis who is batting .291 on the season with 17 RBI, which is third on the team. “We’re a great team, its just about putting those two parts together.”

In one double-header against Belhaven on March 4, Loyola accumulated nine runs on 14 hits on their way to a 9-5 victory. In game two of the double-header, the ‘Pack went scoreless, getting only five hits while committing three errors as they lost 10-0.

For the offensive aspect of the game, general studies business freshman Karson Cullins has emerged as one of leading hitters on the team.

Cullins credits his success to his ability to quickly get the bat through the zone. “I have quick hands, so I try to work on slowing my lower half down and letting my hands do the work,” he said. Cullins is currently second on the team in batting average at .302. He is also fourth on the team in RBI with 15.

The freshman also gave credit to the upperclassmen who have helped him through out the season. “It’s good to have a leader in the outfield like Ryan Scott,” he said when talking about the ‘Pack’s left fielder. “I can try to follow him and see what he’s done and put it towards my success.”

Cullins also said that pitcher Carl Labit has lead by example on the mound with the strong effort he puts in. Labit was one of the players who helped get the energy level back up after dropping the first two games of a series against William Carey University. The ‘Pack won the series finale 11-6.

The team’s long stretch of in-conference matchups continues with Lee University. The game on March 25 will be followed by a firework show. Students who purchased a $5 ticket will receive food and transportation from campus and back.

Players are also excited to perform for a larger than average crowd. “We hope some fans come out and see us Friday night and see the big fireworks show, and hopefully we can come away with a win.” Duplantis said.

With the majority of their opponents being above .500, the ‘Pack won’t have an easy road to the post season. But Cullins is still optimistic about the team’s chances.

“Don’t count us out, because we’re going to be in there, at the tournament, and we might even take the whole thing.”

Hasani Grayson can be reached at