Verifying ages becomes essential as NOPD cracks down on underage drinking

Bars have lost some business

Rhodes Murphy was at a convenience store with a friend who was purchasing alcohol when an undercover officer stopped to ID him.

Murphy, English junior, has received two minor in possession citations in the past two years. He said he believes students have to be more careful.

“I’m not worried when I go out, but I’m mindful of my surroundings,” Murphy said.

Police can issue minor in possession citations to any person under 21 found with alcohol. The citation can lead to fines, community service and in some cases, jail time.

According to the New Orleans Police Department’s Records and Identification division, NOPD received a grant in early May from the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission, which funds a program called the Juvenile Underage Drinking Enforcement. According to city officials, the program is focusing on the Uptown and university area and the French Quarter.

From May to September, 1,077 minor in possession citations have been given out in the New Orleans area. In May, the number of citations issued was 80. By August, that number rose to 418.

Plainclothes NOPD officers go to bars and ask students for identification. If a student has a drink and is found to be underage, the officer writes out a citation and the student must attend a court date.

Murphy was advised by his lawyer to plead guilty and take the charges against him. The judge gave Murphy an option of paying a fine, doing community service or giving a pint of blood. He chose to donate a pint of blood.

For Mary Kate Hutchinson, mass communication freshman, the police crackdown will not prevent her from going out.

“I think if you are a smart person and you can handle yourself well, you won’t get into trouble,” she said.

Eugenie McLellan, graphic design sophomore, has a positive outlook and said she believes the crackdown is only temporary.

“This is just something that happens every few years and it will disappear soon enough,” she said.

Unlike some students, area bars are not so relaxed about the recent spike in minor in possession citations. Bars have become targets for the police to issue citations and it has been negatively affecting businesses, such as Rocco’s Tavern.

Arthur Lacoume, manager of the Maple Street bar, said slow business this semester is mainly due to the number of citations given out in the area. He said he does not expect the crackdown to slow down any time soon.

“Business has been down 30 to almost 40 percent since the spring,” Lacoume said.

He also said five fraternities this semester have cancelled parties at Rocco’s in fear of being raided by police officers.

Kristine Lupoff can be reached at

[email protected]