Wellness to provide new fitness classes

The Department of Athletics and Wellness will host a variety of fitness classes and customized personal training this fall to Loyola students, faculty, staff and University Sports Complex members.

Group exercise classes, which include Yogalet, Cardio/Strength Fusion, Step, Water Workout, Muscle Hustle, Zumba and Disco Sculpt, will be offered for free.

According to Michael Giorlando, director of Intercollegiate Athletics and Wellness and head men’s basketball coach, the Department of Athletics and Wellness will offer PiYO, Yoga, and Iyengar Yoga for two six-week paid sessions.

“The students, faculty and staff will have access to 30 classes for six weeks for a cost of $50,” Giorlando said. “They can mix and match each week with different classes.”

According to Giorlando, the idea was to offer more non-paying classes while keeping paid classes at a reasonable rate for students and faculty.

Free demonstrations for each of the three paid classes will be held during the week of August 29 to September 1. Each demonstration will be held at the appropriate class time, according to the fitness schedule.

The Department of Athletics and Wellness will also offer one-on-one, customized personal training all offered by certified trainers.

Along with a free assessment, trainers will develop a personalized nutrition and exercise plan for each client.

“We’re always interested in hiring additional certified and experienced lifeguards, personal trainers and group exercise leaders,” Giorlando said.

Personal training will cost $30 per hour for students and $40 per hour for faculty, staff and Sports Complex members.

Scott O’Brien can be reached at [email protected]