Letter to the Editor: Conservative counters myth

Editor:Opinions are matters of perspective and personal viewpoints and therefore cannot be wrong… in theory. The absolute absence of common sense and research by two pseudo-intellectual and supposedly educated people leads me to believe not only were their ideas incorrect, but also idiotic. The inspiration for their ideas involving campus saturation with guns was a series of assaults in the uptown area. The motivation for the development of psychotic solutions is, as yet, unknown.Of course the solution to the attacks could not be so complex as analyzing the social degradation of New Orleans and developing comprehensive educational and legal economic opportunities for the lower class residents. Give out firearms to inexperienced and quite likely irresponsible college students. It’s simple and obviously correct. The paper is dripping, yes. But Block still seems to feel that he knows more than the police officers who are trained to deal with crime and most likely have experience and knowledge of criminal actions in general. I don’t believe that the authorities are omniscient, but despite this I realize my own information is sparse. They have a few good ideas on implementing the policy; the only problem exists in the fact that turning these ramblings into law would be insanity. True, a candlelight vigil is unlikely to deter crime, but it is a good psychological tool for comfort of victims and so people can “do something” about crime without resorting to combat training. Why should we law-abiding residents be captive to laws? My perception was that criminals were the ones who lost their rights and freedoms. Yes, the vonBiedenfled house is the depository of numerous weapons, but it was not mandated, and we don’t have to carry those heavy things around. The women are not at fault for the upbringing or poor choices of their common assailant, but they do bear some responsibility for their safety. Personal accountability is a beautiful thing. They did not have to be out after dark without more people accompanying them. They also chose to not use pepper spray, which was their choice. Perhaps this inaction and lack of an object for defense was a good idea in the instance of a misfire or if the assailant were to take it from them, causing him to become more belligerent. In response to the professors’ numbered items, first of all, taking down gun free zone signs may send a message to literate attendees of the university that there is no rule against possession. We could remove the signs, but in the off-chance someone is in possession of a firearm he or she would be subject to persecution for ignorance — their own and that of whatever monkey who took down the signs before policy is changed and those areas are deemed weapon allowable. Secondly, we would lose much diversity on the campus by scaring intelligent people away with ridiculous, freedom inhibiting requirements. A third point: Is “packing” a weapon necessary? I don’t and neither do many other women (I empathize with you women) on this campus. The vast majority, it seems, have not died or even been accosted for lack of a weapon. We could start a university shooting group, but if people really wanted one, wouldn’t we have raised the issue before? Also, some sports bring in money to the university making their existence practical and profitable. Shooting would not inspire the spirit of football for many reasons; all of which are irrelevant because there is not enough interest. Finally, why would an armed person who deludes himself in believing theft is necessary in the first place be concerned with shooting practice? It may just make them more paranoid and likely to do something dangerous more readily. Guns don’t cause homicide any more than matches do arson, but it’s much easier to accidentally shoot someone than spoon him to death.Hitler also promoted 100 percent gun registration. We all wish to model ourselves after a fascist, right? No crime, but a holocaust.Pseudo-socialist professors writing under false guises of conservative affiliations are an affront to right thinking people everywhere

Dietrich vonBiedenfeldMusic Business Sophomore