How to move off campus

For the first two years, Loyola students are required to live on campus, but as junior year approaches many opt to find a place off campus.

During the spring is when many students start to look for off- campus housing, but looking for a place to live isn’t as easy as some may think.

There are many different things you must consider before taking the big step to off-campus housing.

“First determine who will be paying the rent. Is it you or your parents? The next step is to figure out who you are living with and make sure they have spoken with their parents as well,” said Michelle Soliman, licensed Louisiana real- estate agent with Monarch Realty Group.

“Also, keep in mind when selecting roommates that the area surrounding the universities has a limited number of four- and five- bedroom houses for lease, so you may want to consider breaking up into smaller groups,” Soliman said.

When you have gotten these things figured out, there are a few options for starting your house hunt. You can find a real estate agent who is familiar with the area you are considering moving to, or Craigslist is a great source for apartments and houses that are not listed with an agent.

Also, if a friend has a great place and they are graduating or studying abroad, ask to get in touch with their landlord and take advantage of their place, Soliman said.

This semester, the university has also become proactive in helping students move off-campus. “We currently host an off-campus housing provider web page on our website. It gives you contact information for listings in the area and tips for renting,” said Amy Boyle, associate director of Residential Life.

When should you start looking? Soliman said it is great to start looking as early as possible, but keep in mind that many renters only give 30 to 60 days notice to their landlord, so if you are looking for a place that will be available in August, it will probably hit the market in June or July.

As for neighborhoods to live in, Boyle said to check crime map and visit neighborhoods during the day and night.

“There are plenty of fantastic neighborhoods in the city, each with special flare, that are relatively close to the university,” Soliman said.

Most students want to live as close to campus as possible, but keep in mind that there is more demand for rental housing close to campus than supply, Soliman said.

“Consider crossing Claiborne Avenue into the Fontainebleau area, cross St. Charles Avenue, cross Carrollton or go a little further towards the Garden District, but stick close to the streetcar line so you can easily get to school, especially if you don’t have a car,” she said.

Before you go out to any houses, you should make a wish list of things you are looking for in off- campus housing, Soliman said.

“Do your homework. Don’t just look for a deal. Ask questions and search on trusted websites,” Boyle said.

The last aspect of finding a place to live off campus is signing the lease.

“Make sure to read the lease and have all of your questions answered; after all, this is a legal document,” Soliman said.

After this, all you should do is find out where to drop off or mail the monthly rent to and the due date, who to call for repairs and when you can pick up the keys to your new place, Soliman said.

“I think living off-campus works for many students. It provides more independence, immersion in city and neighborhood life and new surroundings,” Boyle said.

Kristen Himmelberg can be reached at [email protected]