Online Exclusive: The Battle Continues

Loyola took on Tulane University in the annual Battle of Freret men’s basketball game across the street from Loyola at Tulane’s Devlin Fieldhouse on Nov. 3. The Wolf Pack fell to Tulane with a final score of 103-74.

The Battle of Freret is one of Loyola’s most popular games of the season. Taking on the nearby Division 1 neighbor is thrilling for a lot of Loyola students, including marketing freshman Maggie McGonial.

“I’ve been to a few games before” McGonial said. “This game is exciting because they’re playing against such a big team. I’m excited to see my friends play.”

Loyola was able to pull of an early lead over Tulane.

After a foul on business sophomore Austin Roark, Loyola took its first point with a free throw. Finance senior McCall Tomeny followed soon after with a three point shot.

Tulane began to catch up, tying Loyola at 6-6, before international business senior Roco Gandara scored twice in a row. Management junior Kyle Simmons scored a three point shot, bringing Loyola to a 12-5 lead over Tulane.

From there, Tulane began to find its traction. The green wave scored back-to-back layups, three pointers, and two dunks before halftime. With four minutes left in the first period, Tomeny was down with an injury. He was escorted off the court by his coach, and re-emerged in warm-up gear later in the game. The game went into halftime with Loyola trailing Tulane 52-36.

As the stadium filled with cheerleaders and music blared during the half-time festivities, Loyola students congregated in the stands to socialize and enjoy the atmosphere of the Battle of Freret.

Philosophy senior Stephen Lee said that he’s been a consistent fan of the Battle of Freret Street.

“This is my fourth game. I have been here every year,” Lee said. “They’re one of our biggest rivals, so it’s cool to see them go at it.”

Mass communications senior Cameron Hill opened the second half of the game with a three-point play. Business sophomore Mason Ibert knocked the ball from the hands of Tulane’s Louis Dabney, which drew a foul and Loyola trailing at 67-39.

Business freshman Nate Pierre got a block in transition, followed by two straight steals for finance sophomore Ben Amoss. The last steal lead to a layup for business sophomore Mason Ibert. Ibert scores a three-pointer, pushing Loyola to 46 with Tulane at 77.

Physics sophomore Aleksander Matoski had five straight points that made the score 81-55. The last stretch of the game was filled with three pointers and steals for the Wolf Pack, but fell short of Tulane’s consistent shots and layups.

As the final whistle blew, the score was 103-74.

Loyola will player another division I opponent when they face UTEP on the road on Nov. 9.

Cami Thomas can be reached at [email protected]