Swimming offers health benefits

Loyola’s oylmpic-size swimming pool for students and members’ use is on the fifth floor of the Rec Plex. The Athletics and Wellness Department offer aquatic classes, private and semi-private swimming lessons, as well as an American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification Course.

CAITLIN SULLIVAN/Contributing Photographer

Looking for another way to exercise or lose weight? If so, swimming may be for you.

Unlike many traditional exercises, swimming targets all the muscles in the human body. Elevating the heart’s respiratory rates and rapidly burning fat, swimming is an excellent cardiovascular workout.

Fourteen-time American Olympic Gold medalist Michael Phelps exemplifies how swimming is an excellent way to burn calories. Phelps consumes 12,000 calories daily, nearly 8,000 more than the average American, and is able to stay in top shape due to the hours he spends in the pool training.

If one spends 30 minutes in the pool doing the breaststroke or backstroke, it can burn up to 350 calories. The harder the exercise one does in the pool, the more calories one will burn.

In addition to its health benefits, swimming is also a method of rehabilitating injuries. While swimming helps prepare one’s body to function thoroughly post surgery, it also puts little stress on one’s injured area.

Former American track star Mary Slaney spent three weeks rehabbing through aquatic exercises after an Achilles tendon injury. Shortly after her return from rehab, Slaney set a world record in the 1000 meter event.

Loyola offers students a chance to exercise, rehab or relax in its Olympic-sized pool located in the Recreational Sports Complex. Once the largest suspended pool in North America, Loyola’s pool is free for use to any student possessing a valid student ID. The pool’s hours are Monday-Friday 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sunday 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.

For those students looking to exercise aquatically, Loyola offers a water workout class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 1 p.m. As stated on Loyola’s website, the water workout class is a low impact, but intense water aerobics class that focuses on muscular strength and endurance. The class utilizes various floating devices to improve resistance training. An easy and fun way to exercise aquatically, the class helps the members of the group achieve their goals of getting into shape.

Private and semi-private swimming lessons are also available to students for a minimal fee. These classes are aimed to teach students with little to no swimming experience the ability to swim. This is a great way to learn how to swim from a certified swimming instructor. Both private and semi-private lessons cost $15 for half an hour and $30 for a full hour.

Also available in the Recreation Sports Complex’s pool is a pool basketball court. The pool basketball court offers students a way to have fun with friends while exercising.

For those students looking to relax or rehabilitate, a hot tub is located next to the gym’s pool. The warm water of the hot tub is a great way to help reduce stress and improve the blood circulation throughout the body. The hot tub is also a way to relax one’s joints and relieve arthritis pain.

Students interested in any aquatic program should contact Kristi Salvaggio at [email protected] or call 504-864-7539.

Richard Dempsey can be reached at [email protected].