Basketball plays final game of the season

Team is knocked out of tournament by Emmanuel College

Loyola’s women’s basketball team fell to Emmanuel College in the first Southern States Athletic Conference tournament, bringing their 11-15 season to a close.

The Wolf Pack entered the game as fifth seed, a good matchup against Emmanuel, who was at fourth seed. In the second half, Emmanuel proved to be a strong force, with the game ending at 62-54. However, the following day, six of Loyola’s players were honored for nine separate awards given by the SSAC.

Junior psychology major and Pack forward Jasmine Brewer said that while it was a disappointing game, they are happy with their season.

“We actually feel really good. With the circumstances we were given and the changes we had to adjust to, right before the season, it was rough,” Brewer said. “Overall, we thought we did well, and you just have to take it as a learning experience.”

The next day, the SSAC announced their award selections. Brewer was named Champion of Character and All-Academic, as well as making the All-Conference Team.

“It’s a big accomplishment to be able to get up and represent Loyola and it’s something I feel extremely proud of and I feel blessed to have the opportunity” Brewer said. “That’s not my focus, the awards, when I’m playing, but to know people recognize what I am doing and how I’m helping my team, I can only be happy for that.”

Psychology sophomore Rebekah Greer, biology sophomore Callie McNally and mass communication sophomore Janeicia Neely joined Brewer on the All-Academic Team. Business freshman Katie Youngblood and biology freshman Shayne Charles were named to the All-Freshmen Team and Neely received a spot on the All-Division Teame over. The team believes that these awards show that the Wolf Pack has some talented players, and that next season they will be back to prove it.

Sarah Szigeti can be reached at [email protected]