Editorial: Counseling center essential resource for healing students

At the end of September, PostSecret visited Loyola. Frank Warren, the project’s creator, gave his standard talk, sharing some of the secrets he has received over the years. At the close of his talk, he invited audience members to share their thoughts. One by one, members of the Loyola community made their way forward to reveal their secrets – some funny, most painful.

PostSecret has a special place in the hearts of many students, for it allows individuals to see that others share even their darkest and best-hidden secrets. The project reveals that we all harbor these emotions and experiences and, thus, can all relate to one another. 

The community response to Warren’s presentation is a poignant reminder that emotional, difficult and heartbreaking secrets touch each of our lives. However, the response also made it evident that there is an ever-present and extensive network of support willing to help us.

In addition to the crowd of students, a representative of the University Counseling Center was present at the PostSecret event. He took the stage to remind us that all Loyola students have access to professional and confidential counseling services. No matter what secrets you hide away, no matter if you are simply overwhelmed or stressed, the counseling center will welcome, help and guide you during your time at Loyola. Frank Warren was able to contribute a night of insight and emotion to the students, but it is ultimately the individuals and the services within our community that will allow all its members to accept, resolve or recover from their secrets.

These editorials are the majority opinion

of the editorial board named above.