Jay: Arrested trio could be booked for bizarre stick-up

Anigbo, Diakite and White were already facing multiple counts of attempted robbery

Ramon Antonio Vargas

(This story has been updated since its original publication.)

According to Loyola student “Jay,” who reported to The Maroon that passengers in a “black Nissan with Texas license plates” acted out a prank-like hold-up on him during the late-night hours of Sept. 22, a University Police officer informed him that the New Orleans Police Department could book the arrested trio of Loyola students on an additional count of attempted robbery for the incident.

Finance junior Chukwuemeka Anigbo, management freshman Mohamed Diakite and biology freshman John A. White already faced multiple counts of attempted robbery after their Oct. 4 arrest for being accused of holding up pedestrians in the Uptown neighborhood in separate incidents in the late-night hours of Oct. 3, using what police said was a cap gun. In each case, the victims accuse the trio of refusing to take wallets and purses when they were offered to them, instead saying they were “joking” and speeding off in a black Nissan Altima.

Police booked the stick-up crew with multiple counts of attempted robbery. A municipal judge set their bond at $250,000, according to court records and reporter Brendan McCarthy of the Times-Picayune.

On the night of Sept. 22, Jay “was just walking” down past the corner of McAlister Drive and Freret Street toward Broadway Street when Anigbo, Diakite and White reportedly pulled the Nissan off the road and asked him if he had “any money” as they pointed a gun at him.

Jay tried to ignore them and keep walking, but he said they demanded the money again. As he was going to hand the wallet over, they aimed and shot two rounds from a pistol that made a “hissing noise” at him. The pellets zipped past him, at which point he realized the pistol was probably an air gun that wasn’t shooting bullets.

“I told them, ‘Get lost,’ and they drove away toward Broadway. I went on to my destination,” he said.

The next day, he filed a police report with Officer Elmer Johnston of University Police. A UP officer then reportedly informed him on Oct. 8 that the NOPD would likely tack on another count of attempted robbery.

Before the latest count, the trio faced between five and 48 1/2 years in prison, McCarthy reported.

Jay had no additional comment.

Ramon Antonio Vargas can be reached at [email protected]. Andrew Poland contributed to this report.