In my own words: President – John Beverstock

John+Beverstock%2C+finance+sophomore%2C+is+running+for++Student+Government+Association+president.+
Monica Vo/Staff Photographer
John Beverstock, finance sophomore, is running for Student Government Association president.

To me, student government is meant to facilitate the needs of the students and provide them with the services they need. Not only must we hear the voices of the other organizations on this campus, but also the voices of individual students.

In order to accommodate the needs of the Loyola community, I will work to increase the communication between SGA and the Loyola community at large.

I will do this through a discussion board and blogs on the SGA website, open to everyone, where students can post comments or concerns about SGA, hear responses from SGA members, find out what is happening on campus and solve campus problems.

In addition, I plan to keep the creative spirit alive through various programming and planning of events such as Loup Garou and Concert with a Cause, along with ideas of my own.

I hope to create a week of music in which student bands and performers have shows all week long around New Orleans to show this musical city Loyola students’ talent. I plan to create even more music and art opportunities for students, while uniting Loyola in our creative identity.

Furthermore I plan on working to solve the commuter students’ issues, making sure that they are represented in SGA, and that the current commuter lounge is both improved and more accessible.

As a commuter myself, I plan on representing the commuter students through SGA and providing the programs that they want.

Using my experience as a Senator-at-Large and a member of the University Budgeting Committee, I will ensure that SGA programs and policies are serving in the best interests of the student body and are the best use of your student fees.