University implements two electric car chargers

This year Loyola has taken to the green initiative and introduced two electric car chargers.

Through providing these chargers, one of which is located at the Horseshoe in front of Marquette Hall and another at the Broadway campus, the university hopes it can be a leader in sustainable, environment-friendly options, according to Charles Marshall, director of Facilities Systems.

“Sustainability is a major point of emphasis at many universities today, and Father Wildes is committed to Loyola being a leader in this area,” Marshall said.

Although there isn’t a large demand, there is hope that there will be one in the future, Marshall said. Currently, there is no way to tell how many times the chargers are being used, since there are no networks to keep track of uses.

Because the horseshoe is designed for visitors, the charger on the main campus is available to any person who is visiting on official university business, as well as those with a Loyola parking permit. On the Broadway campus, however, the chargers are only available to those with a parking permit, Marshall said.

Though this is a step toward sustainability, students have mixed feelings about the chargers.

“It just seems like a waste of space,” said Joey Macasieb, political science junior. “I mean how many people drive fully-electric cars?”

Alexa Tabora, marketing senior, disagreed.

“I think it’s very efficient that the student body has access to these chargers throughout the campus,” Tabora said. “With this new spread in the eco-friendly lifestyle these chargers are beneficial.”

According to Marshall, there are plans to have an electric car as one of the university’s WeCars, since the company offers electric cars. This would make use of the chargers.

Loyola is one of two universities in Louisiana to offer free electric car chargers.

Chantel Jackson can be reached [email protected]