Weekend helps families reconnect

Student Affairs has planned several events for Family Weekend that focus on student life after move-in.

According to Seth Hagler, assistant director of Residential Life, Family Weekend is a time for parents to reconnect with their students and see different aspects of student life. Family Weekend, which will take place Sept. 30 to Oct. 2, is timed just before fall break, and allows parents to see how their student is adjusting to campus life.

“It’s an opportunity to visit after the dust is settled,” he said.

For some parents who were unable to come during move-in day, these three days are a way to see the campus and become familiar with New Orleans, Hagler said. Family Weekend is not specifically for students living on campus, either. All families are welcome to attend.

Some students are looking forward to having their parents attend Family Weekend.

Alicia Serrano, mass communication freshman, said she believes this weekend is about parents and relatives spending time with their children while learning about their college experiences.

“My family would want to attend to get a better feel of how campus life is like at Loyola,” she said.

One of main focuses of this year’s Family Weekend is to incorporate parents into Loyola’s academic life. With this as a priority, Hagler said, parents will have the chance to attend a roundtable on advising, which will consist of presenters from each of the colleges. It will focus on explaining the advising process, academic resources and early warning systems.

Families will also have the opportunity to attend a class. Other academic events include a study abroad fair and “Failure to Launch,” which will show parents how to get involved with their children’s career-development process.

Other Friday events include a Live to Eat session, a panel discussion on New Orleans cuisine, sponsored by the Center for the Study of New Orleans, and Switch Up, presented by the National Pan-Hellenic Council, is an event where fraternities perform sororities’ steps and dance moves, and vice versa.

Saturday events will focus on introducing families to the city, as well as Loyola, with a professional bus tour, “Fun, Facts and Fables.”

Following the tour, families will be encouraged to explore New Orleans and will be given discounts to museums, such as the National World War II Museum and Ogden Museum of Southern Art.

Events will conclude Sunday with Jazz Brunch and a family send-off.

One reason to attend is that it is a “great experience for parents to get a glimpse of campus,” Hagler said.

Lucy Dieckhaus can be reached at [email protected]