Secretary of Education, Mayor Landrieu speak in Roussell

Panelists gathered to discuss the importance of education, the benefits of becoming a teacher and investment in students at the TEACH town hall meeting.

The moderator for the event was Tulane’s former associate professor of mechanical engineering, Dr. Calvin Mackie.

Kate Gremillion, mass communication junior, introduced the event with a video from President Barack Obama’s campaign for education.

The video highlighted the importance of education and teachers in students’ lives. The motto stated: “Inspire a child, teach.”

The Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., then took the stage to welcome the audience and spoke about making the world a better place by entering a classroom as a teacher.

Panelists included Orleans Parish Middle School teacher of the year, Michelle Jones; assistant principal at L.B. Landry High School, Desmond Moore; corner-back for New Orleans Saints’ Leigh Torrence; Mayor Mitch Landrieu; United States Secretary of Education Arne Duncan and Wildes.

Mackie opened the discussion by encouraging males to join the teaching field, and explained that it is a tough but rewarding job.

“There is a need for black males and Hispanic males in the classroom. It is not for the faint of heart, but great teachers make great students,” Mackie said.

“We are getting smarter faster, closing the gap of achievement. You have to give back where you got it. There is a national movement and you can be a part of. Help us lead the way,” Landrieu said.

Panelists then spoke about the Income Base Repayment, which allows those who have graduated college and who have agreed to teach for 10 years to have their student loan debt erased.

Questions from the audience led to a discussion on the low wages of an educator versus the impact of teaching, and that there is no need to take a vow of poverty.

“We have to shed light on the positive, and put less value on what you get paid. I’d rather have 100 lives changed than $100,” Moore said.

“The president and I, we are here to invest in education. Whoever thinks we should not invest in students going to college is wrong,” Duncan said.

Jasmine Barnes can be reached at [email protected]