Sunday Cooks serve up thanks

Food, music and students filled Dixon Court last Sunday evening as the Loyola Sunday Cook Day club concluded its first year as a chartered organization.

The Sunday Cooks began serving up dishes for their friends about two years ago. They were officially chartered by the Student Government Association in the fall of 2010.

“We really wanted to have this event as a way to thank everyone for supporting us since we began,” said Christoph Dornemann, mass communication senior and co-founder of the Sunday Cooks. “In the fall semester, our big bash was our Thanksgiving party, and we wanted to do something similar this semester, We wanted to model the event after this great restaurant Bachanals. It has a simple menu with a few appetizers, entrees, and deserts, served in tapas portions. So we styled the menu after them.”

The event, titled “Dinner for Friends,” was by invitation only. Guests were served delicacies such as blackened Vietnamese catfish, maple pork belly, coconut custard and honey mascarpone yam cake.

“I love the chip with the avocado and oyster on top. It looked and tasted like one of those small plates that fancy restaurants give you while you’re waiting for your food to be served,” said Virginia Peters-Rodbell, mass communication sophomore.

The food was prepared to order and wine was served to those of age.

“It was a way for everyone together to try food and have a nice evening before exams start. I was glad to be able to serve everyone,” said Richard Tucker, a political science sophomore who worked as a waiter for the evening.

Helaina Harb, chemistry and French sophomore, attended the event with a friend.

“It was an elegant dining experience, and the music and the food were phenomenal. I’ve been to some of their events around campus before, but this was by far my favorite,” Harb said.

At the end of the evening, a collection was taken up to raise funds for the Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund.

Dornemann said the Sunday Cooks plan on having “Dinner with Friends” every year. “I would just like it more organized next year, and we plan to make it bigger so more people can enjoy the free food and music.”

Carl Harrison can be reached at [email protected]