Chinese club hopes to bridge gap between cultures

A new student organization has been chartered with the goal of bridging the gap between students of Eastern and Western origin.

The Loyola Chinese Students and Scholars Association was created to provide an interchange of language and culture among Loyola students. This organization features support and advice for Chinese and American students alike.

Through more interaction with Americans, Chinese students in this organization will become more adjusted to Western culture. Also, this group will provide a location for students to receive help in Chinese as well as American studies.

“It’s important that we understand each other. We are so rapidly becoming such an international community, both Loyola and the United States. We believe it’s necessary, especially with China because it’s such a world power, to fully understand our culture, customs, and language,” said Kirby Voss, communications officer and international business sophomore.

Voss believes this organization will provide a foundation for all Chinese students. His goal is to promote unity and fellowship between the two cultures.

Club president, James Zhang, said he wanted to start this organization to help both American and Chinese students at Loyola.

Criminal justice senior Whitney Williams said, “I think the Loyola Chinese Students and Scholars Association is a perfect idea. With an organization like this, it will help Chinese students connect to the culture here. “

This organization plans to work with Chinese students and scholars’ organizations at Tulane and the University of New Orleans to promote Chinese and American harmony all over New Orleans.

Lauren Fincher can be reached at