OPINION: Former SGA president looks back

Sarah Cooper
Sarah Cooper

If you were to tell me four years ago when I started college at LSU that during the last few weeks of my college career, I would be reflecting on my time as Loyola Student Government Association’s president, I would simply tell you: “You are crazy.”

Two years ago, I was asked to run by your current SGA President, Kate Gremillion, and I certainly had no idea what I was getting myself into. The next year was as whirlwind of excitement, struggles, success and failures, and, despite its ups and downs, I can honestly say that year is ultimately what changed my life by showing me the power and potential I have as one person to make a difference.

Now, two years after I heard my name announced as the new SGA president, it is time again for you, the students, to decide who will be your leadership and your voice for the next academic year.

It may seem silly how serious I sound about Student Government, but the power given to these individuals will astound you. These students speak on your behalf to the people who run this university, (deans, the administration, Sodexo, parking services, the Board of Trustees, etc.) and yes, their opinions do matter when it comes to major decisions.

So before voting on your senators, vice president and president, consider a few questions.

First, has this student proven that they are capable of taking on this responsibility through past positions or experiences?

Second, do the student’s ideas sound feasible and do they have the leadership to put them into action?

Third, can you see this person coming to you and asking for your opinion on issues or improvements you want to see on campus?

Fourth, would you trust this person to earn the respect of the administration and effectively communicate what you want to see done in this university to the proper authorities?

In short, is this person someone you see as being a leader of the Loyola community and a representative of you?

Whoever you decide to vote for, I sincerely hope those student leaders strive to keep your support and respect by constantly working hard for what you, as their constituents, believe in. As for the candidates, remember that this job is no easy task.

As Student Government president, I learned what it meant to be dedicated, to respect individuals’ diverse opinions, to trust in delegation, to work relentlessly for ideas the students and my administration believed in, and, to put it simply, to listen to, believe in and fight for others.

Congratulations for those of you who are taking on this challenge. Despite its difficulties, student leadership can be highly rewarding, both personally and professionally. If I had not taken that step my sophomore year, I probably would not be in the position to say I interned and traveled for the New Orleans Saints or currently work for Teach For America.

Whoever said no one but your mother cares if you were in Student Government or were Student Government president was sadly mistaken.

Being Student Government president is what gave me a well-respected position on Loyola’s campus, helped me to build relationships with faculty, staff, administration, New Orleans community members and students, and, of course, get a job with one of Fortune Magazine’s top 100 employers.

Sarah Cooper is a marketing senior and was the Student Government Association president for the 2009-2010 academic year.

She can be reached at

In My Opinion is a weekly column

open to any Loyola student. Those

interested in contributing can contact