Provost announces this will be his last year

search for successor in progress
Kvet announced he is retiring at the end of the 2012 academic year.
Courtesy Loyola University

Edward J. Kvet will be stepping down as provost and vice president for Academic Affairs at the end of this year, the provost council announced Aug. 18.

Kvet began his role as provost and vice president for academic affairs when Walter Harris retired from the position in 2008. During his tenure, Kvet oversaw major university goals, such as increasing enrollment, assisting with the placement of new deans and improving the university’s planning.

Although it was Kvet’s first time as a provost and vice president, he had previous experience as an assistant professor and dean of the College of Music and Fine Arts.

Kvet officially leaves his post July 31, 2012, and Loyola has already begun the search for someone to fill his position.

A search committee will be formed to determine who will be the next provost and vice president for academic affairs. The nine-member committee will consist of six tenured or tenured-track faculty representatives elected by each college and the library, along with an elected representative from the Student Government Association and the Office of Student Affairs. University President, the Rev. Kevin Wildes, S.J., will also select a member.

Kvet said his successor should be “a guider. (Someone) able to set broad goals within Academic Affairs, the shaper and enabler of the faculty and students.”

He also said they need to show Jesuit characteristics within their values.

Elizabeth Kordahl, executive assistant to the provost, has been working for Kvet through his four years as provost.

“I’m extraordinarily grateful to have had the opportunity to work with him. He has done such an amazing job with the university,” she said.

Although his predecessor retired after being provost, Kvet said he plans to seek opportunities within consulting and fundraising outside the university.

Kristen Diaz can be reached at