Cabra Hall welcomes renovations

Chika john/photo editor
Students sit on lawn chairs, as part of renovations, outside Cabra Hall Wednesday, Aug. 31. Many welcome and embrace the changes to the residence hall.

This summer, Cabra Hall was given a makeover.

“The summer renovation included new carpet, new shower stalls, power washing the exterior, painting of the doors and louvers, and painting of the interior,” said Ann Moss, director of Facilities Operations.

“The changes are awesome, it looks awesome,” said Adriene Easley, business management junior who lives in Cabra Hall this semester. “The changes were for the better and were needed. Now it’s more like living at home – more comfortable.”

Though the residence hall received what some would say a past-due renovation, some students still complain that it isn’t enough.

“The new changes helped some,” said Bryce Eastwood, music education senior and former Cabra Hall resident. “It’s good for the building to be updated, but my major problems with Cabra Hall had nothing to do with the paint or updating the showers. My problems were more with the overcrowding and the kitchen facilities.”

“Even with renovations, if you have two people living in one room, it’s too small. It was basically like living in a hallway,” he said.

Aleck Johnson, visual arts senior, has a similar view.

“Cabra Hall needed to be updated because it just had an old feel to it,” he said. “I had a single, but it was still too small. It felt like living in an old motel.”

Lee Slan, mass communication senior and resident assistant for Cabra said he believes renovations were in the right direction, since some of the main complaints have been water issues.

“Most of our complaints are about the water. Cabra’s water has a mind of its own. One minute you think you got it fixed. Then something else happens. Our plumbers put in a lot of work into solving the problem,” Slan said. “Another one would be room space at first, but how much time do you literally stay in your room? But in the end, everything you might have had in your room in the main campus can fit into a room at Cabra.”

According to Moss, there is more to expect from Cabra’s renovations.

“The future plan for Cabra is a complete renovation of the building,” Moss said. “There will be some changes to the layout of the suites, but the same number of suites will be provided. The renovation planned for next year will include a complete replacement of all the mechanical and plumbing systems.”

Zaina Monsour can be reached at [email protected]