New Orleans: The original city that never sleeps

Two bartenders talk at Lafittes Blacksmith Bar on Bourbon Street while working. Lafittes is one of the oldest bars in New Orleans.
Wadner Pierre/Photo Managing Editor
Two bartenders talk at Lafitte’s Blacksmith Bar on Bourbon Street while working. Lafitte’s is one of the oldest bars in New Orleans.

Students, rejoice. Your few months at home end today. You now reside in a city where bartenders regularly watch the sun rise and drinks couldn’t be any cheaper. Say goodbye to all thoughts of a simple, quiet transition into your fall semester. You have entered a city that continually redefines what it means to party.

IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR LIVE MUSIC…

If you want to see the bigger touring acts, constantly check the calendars at The Howlin’ Wolf, One Eyed Jacks, Tipitina’s and the House of Blues. Otherwise, nearby The Prytania, Carrollton Station and Circle Bar are all a streetcar ride away and regularly host live shows, if you dig the indie rock sound. Frenchmen Street, an increasingly popular tourist spot, provides a variety of jazz and blues clubs within a few blocks, including Loyola favorites Blue Nile and The Maison. And if you find yourself growing bored with what Uptown offers, you can venture even further into the Marigny and Bywater areas to hit up a show at The Hi Ho Lounge or The AllWays Lounge, both on St. Claude Avenue.

IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING LOW-KEY…

Cozy up on a worn-in couch with a cheap cup of coffee at the nearby Neutral Ground Coffeehouse for those nights when the thought of one more smelly, loud bar makes you choke (yeah, we’ve all been there.) On almost every night of the week, the Neutral Ground hosts a variety of live music acts that won’t leave your ears ringing. The Maple Street bar Bruno’s Tavern is yet another hangout where you can pull up a chair, have a drink and enjoy conversation with friends without having to shout over music. And if you’re willing to pull out the classy attire, The Columns Hotel on St. Charles Avenue is the place to go. The historic building, with its elegant 1800s New Orleans furnishings and infamous wraparound porch in front, allows visitors to sip politely on cocktails and step back into a different era. Drinks, not so cheap; atmosphere, priceless.

IF YOU’RE LOOKING TO DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY…

The Republic’s infamous Throwback Nights, Saturn Bar’s Mod Night’s and One Eyed Jack’s Thursday Night 80’s Nights can satisfy the universal need to groove, jive and jitterbug to the timeless classics. The occasional electronic show will pop up on the calendar at the streetcar-route accessible bar, Eiffel, along with their regular Latin Nights. Also Electronic fans should keep an eye on Club Ampersand for shows. And say what you will about The Boot, but no one can deny that it’s always an option if you’re seeking out a nearby dance floor. What could be more convenient for a Loyola student, honestly?

IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR A LATE-NIGHT SPOT…

Your night out is coming to an end, and then a friend suggests one last stop F&M Patio Bar, if only for the cheese fries. Many, many college students share this exact thought any given night, hence lending to the bar’s reputation as the go-to late night spot. Other final stops? Snake and Jakes Christmas Club and The Saint. Each offers drinks into the we hours of the morning: The Saint closes at 6 a.m. every single day of the week, while Snake and Jakes doesn’t even bother with a closing time.

A FEW OTHER HIDDEN GEMS…

At the corner of Carrolton St. and St. Charles Ave., right alongside the Mississippi River levee, you’ll find Cooter Brown’s Tavern & Oyster Bar. For those who love a game of pool and a pitcher of beer, this is your place. Get over here and play some trivia on Wednesdays, too. On your next trip to Bourbon St. pop into Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shoppe. The building, built in the 1700s, continues to intrigue its patrons with its mysterious legends. As soon as your eyes adjust to the dark, candle lit space, grab a barstool near the pianist in the back corner and put in a request or two. Another often overlooked bar would be The Apple Barrel. The tiny, rustic dive bar on Frenchmen Street treats its live musicians like old familiar friends, with no stage necessary here. It’s definitely worth checking out.

(Wadner Pierre/Photo Managing Editor )